AC Mack coil.

The coil for my 1925 AC fire truck has gone bad.   I can't immagine there is a spare around.   It says North East Electric Co Rochester NY.  With a patent date of 1919.  So with that not being likely has anyone ever had a coil rewound?  Who would do it?   My local generator shop doesn't.  Matt Pfahl and Gary Mahan had no suggestions.  

Thanks. 

Mike. 

IMG_5154.JPG

Edited by yarnall

I'm sure Gary Mahan will have one and Matt Pfahl probably has one as well. If not the first place I'd try is one of the shops that specializes in rebuilding magnetos. 

Push comes to shove an ignition coil is an ignition coil as long as the input voltage is 12v any coil will produce a spark. I assume you have checked for continuity and resistance in the coil to ensure it is actually open.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

This coil looks like a little grenade. My mechanic replaced it with a finned coil like I have on my LS85. Me said the original coil was barely making a spark.  I assume my mechanic would know if it is open or not.  I do not know what that means. 

Matt Pfahl said they will cut open the old coils and put a new one inside but mine is not the same shape.  Gary Mahan had no suggestion.  I'll call Cal next   

Thanks for the reply.  Mike. 

Try Mark's Magneto Service (860) 537-0376. 

It is BMT Tim Maikshilo's brother.  Haven't seen Tim on here in a while so he must be using his metal detector on the beaches of NZ, Auckland, Tasmania, Kangaroo Island or someplace???

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

Mike, open means that the wire is broken inside. A coil is just two wires wound around a core with one wire supplied by a 12v current  that builds up a magnetic field. When the points open the field collapses and induces a higher voltage, lower amperage, current in the other wire which then goes to fire the spark plug. Based on the description my guess is the insulation on the primary wire has failed thus shortening the length of the coil and resulting in a weak spark. The tech should put an ohm meter across the leads to check for the proper resistance just to make sure it is the coil and not something else in the system.

Try PMing Steelman. He has a few AC's and he bought NOS from dealers back in the day so you never know. His phone number is 540-373-5983. Ask for Carey.

Matt Pfahl said they will cut open the old coils and put a new one inside but mine is not the same shape

You can use almost any 12v coil, not just the one you have now. A smaller one like the ones used on cars and trucks from the 40's to the 70's should work. Ask Matt what coil he uses.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

16 hours ago, Phase 1 said:

Here is a possibility.

http://www.mykmlifestyle.com/Antique_Parts_Rebuilds.html

Otherwise a Hemmings Motor News would probably be the best place to look.

Thanks for the info.  I called them today.  They have one on the shelf,  but will rebuild mine for about $200.  I am checking on a couple other options but will send it to him if they do not come through.  Mike. 

• Like 1