750 Mile Road Trip

Hello,

Planning on purchasing a 1992 RD Mack with E7-350 engine, road ranger 8 speed. It has been doing more sitting than running the last 5 years. What should I do to prepare the truck for the road trip? Any help and advise would be very appreciated.

Thanks,

Edited by Turmoil

Id look over tires and brake adjustments for starters. Get all lights working check fluid levels and fan belts.check for leaks in air lines and valves and definitely bring a tool box with you for the drive home. If the fuel is old dump some conditioner in it and get some fresh fuel in it. Also check the vents on rear ends and make sure there Venting. That's a few things I can think of of top of my head. Oh ya avoid the law.

Thanks Alex G, I appreciate the reply. I will be adding a couple of your suggestions to the list.  The truck is a 688S with a 13,000 lb tree spade on the back. The truck was originally set up as a tractor. 

Any thoughts on fuel mileage?  

Thanks again!

If traveling...

• WD-40
  • common wrenches/crescent/reg. vice grip/needle nose v. grip for air lines that are going to blow 
  • multimeter
  • test light
  • bag of misc electrical connectors (butt/splice/eye/etc)
  • crimper stripper plyers
  • one 12ga jumper wire...10 feet long w/alligator ends
  • roll of 16ga wire
  • two gallon distilled water for batteries(coolant mixing) and jumper cables
  • download diagram of truck wiring
  • hammer and pry bar to break shoes free from drum
  • Piggyback kit   
  • 5/16" ratchet for hose clamps
  • 2 gallons SCR coolant conc
  • LED headlamp
  • magnetic tape of C. W. McCall greatest hits
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Turmoil said:

Thanks Alex G, I appreciate the reply. I will be adding a couple of your suggestions to the list.  The truck is a 688S with a 13,000 lb tree spade on the back. The truck was originally set up as a tractor. 

Any thoughts on fuel mileage?  

Thanks again!

Bring some chains and binders we had the big john spade unit put on a ford 8000 chassis in Arkansas almost 40 years ago and drove it back to Illinois. We used the binders and chains to pull it down tight into the cradle to keep it from bouncing around while driving it on rough roads and take the wear and tear off the lift cylinders.