Pitman Arm Puller Recommendations

Can anyone give me some recommendations on good pitman arm pullers for a 1958' Mack B Model?  I bought a "Heavy Duty" one from OTC and all I can seem to do is spread it and never actually get enough tension to pull it.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Do not use heat like your going to hear.A air hammer will help.Also i cant remenber pulling one on a B model but a big sledge hammer on the bottomside agains the lever while some one wacks it with another hammer on the top side if the fender will allow.

• Like 1

glenn akers

After you remove the bolt, drive a chisel in the gap to spread it, then spray with PB blaster and tap all around it to spread the oil around. I ground some grooves in the sides of the chisel to give it grip (it will pop right out if you don't).

26 minutes ago, h67st said:

After you remove the bolt, drive a chisel in the gap to spread it, then spray with PB blaster and tap all around it to spread the oil around. I ground some grooves in the sides of the chisel to give it grip (it will pop right out if you don't).

I didn't grind grooves in the chisel.  Chisel went rouge, busted my glasses.

Yes be very careful driving a chisel in to spread it.        Local guy told me he has a puller type thing that you tighten and it drives a wedge in to spead it open a little. ( I haven't seen it).   He had a chisel hit him in the hmmmm "nuts" and he bought this thing.   Its Prob. snapon.  

• 1 year later...