My R model doors with the old style latch keep giving me hell...

Is it possible to convert from the older style door latch to the new style?

I see you can easily  swap over to the new style latch on the door panels  but the new style striker looks like it was revised to mount in the door frame?

In 1979, the door changed slightly.  A new set up can go into an older +3 cab but the door lock mechanism was relocated so it won't line up.  Door will work but won't lock.  With mods yes, bolt in no.

The latch for yours should be 62QS424R if you try the new style.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

Its been my experience the older style latches are better the doors rattle in the jambs with the new ones. All our RDs at work mine included the doors rattle in the jambs its really irritating I have tried everything short of replacing the hinges to fix the problem.

5 hours ago, j hancock said:

In 1979, the door changed slightly.  A new set up can go into an older +3 cab but the door lock mechanism was relocated so it won't line up.  Door will work but won't lock.  With mods yes, bolt in no.

The latch for yours should be 62QS424R if you try the new style.

But I am correct in saying there were only 2 styles of latches used? when did the current style latch come into play?

5 hours ago, kscarbel2 said:

My experience is the old style latches* work as well as the new style.

* 62QS324C (right)  /  62QS325C (left)

Have you replaced your catches*?

* 31RC39B (right)  /  31RC310B (left)

I have seen some that were flawless. I replaced the latches but not the catches...will see if I can still get them and try that first

1 hour ago, ranchhopper said:

Its been my experience the older style latches are better the doors rattle in the jambs with the new ones. All our RDs at work mine included the doors rattle in the jambs its really irritating I have tried everything short of replacing the hinges to fix the problem.

we must have the same issue but with diffrent style latches. My drivers side door works ok but I still have to push hard on the outside button to get it to open. the passenger side I have to use the palm of my had to get it to pop and from inside I cant even open it unless I try to rip the handle off the door