Oldtimers: Who in your opinion made the best over the road fleet truck back in the 50's 60's 70's and 80's. Consider quality, mpg's, cost of ownership etc. I think Mack and White east of the Rockies were pretty close competetors. I think Mack and White started to nose dive with the introduction of the CH and Road boss. Paccar and Freightliner dominated the west coast and started to move east.

The ford 9000 and International Transtar started to make headways in the 80's:huh:

well they were all pretty good in the day....mack sold more  from 68- 70....you can look it up.....i can tell you nowdays my company buys them all....volvo,international and kenworth seem to be the worse.... peterbilt and freightliner and mack....seems to have longer time between downs....bob

IMO, the 237 Maxidyne , 5 speed highway, 6 speed off road/construction, for sure was the best.  4000/9000 Whites were good fleet trucks as were the L and LN Ford Louisvilles-certainly from a first cost but you just had to make sure you speced the right engine/transmission and rear.  

Mack took all that out of the equation.  Those were the good ol' days.

• Like 2

ya,,,,,again till you try to pull a real grade with a real load......ahahahaha....good luck with that.....laughing stock of the highway,,,,even a strong headwind sends them into a backward motion:thumbsdown:.....its a city tractor engine.......probably good for nothing.....used to run one.....worthless as tits on a bull.....bob

i ran a 237 with a mud stick trans for 9 months in a DM800 with an aluminum body. it would run 62 MPH at 70,000 lbs................ until you hit a hill. then it was 18 MPH up and over the hill. 

• Like 1

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

2 minutes ago, tjc transport said:

i ran a 237 with a mud stick trans for 9 months in a DM800 with an aluminum body. it would run 62 MPH at 70,000 lbs................ until you hit a hill. then it was 18 MPH up and over the hill. 

Sounds like the Detroit I drive. 

• Like 1

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

funny you mention that,,,,,,when i ran mine,,,,,i used to run with a guy hadda 318....and his truck was the only one i could pass,,,,but only on a  steep grade with heavy loads..... i bought a 350 thermodyne after that,,,,,,man what a difference:thumb::thumb::thumb:......bob