Studebaker Diesel

Truck Shop

Another one I remember from years ago is a feedlot next to our dairy had a Studebaker diesel, tandem axle Detroit powered with a feed auger box on the back.

It also had a straight pipe, very loud. It had a 4x4 boxes .  The cab looked like this one below.

Truck Shop

1964_studebaker_diesel_by_skoshi8-d4lf0fn.jpg

• Like 2

One ping only

• 9 months later...
On 3/11/2018 at 10:38 PM, carlotpilot said:

kenosha auto transport  and baker auto transport  ran bunches of those studes. they had 4-71 detroits 5&2s and pulled 4-5 car single axle trailers 

I'll bet a 4-71 with 5 cars behind it would be a real snail!

My Dad had 2 of these with 4-53 GM Diesels 5X2 trans new were under $5,000.00. He was leased to Arco Auto Carriers at the time late 50's up to about 1966. He had 5 trucks hauling out of Kenosha Wisconsin American Motors ramblers and Studebakers out of South Bend Indiana. No Interstate 80 back then took old route 6 across Penna. They could not pull the hat off your head those trucks.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, you guys are bringing back some memories! My first car hauling gig was for AT I of Flint Mi out of the Pittsburgh railhead  hauling Ford's.  Had a 5 car Bankhead F8 Ford 391 gas burner 5 and a 2. During model changeover we could take the layoff or drive one of the senior drivers 8v71 Louisville ( they had money so they took the layoff!) Their trailers were a 10 car Bankhead if you used the ramp extension off the top front deck. We called them our Pinto bar! The Anchor guys called them their Vega bar! My 1st trip with the Louisville I took a backhaul out of Port Wilmington De. To Minneapolis. Coming home I took a trip lease out of KATs yard in Kenosha Wi Pacers and Gremlins! Tells you how long ago it was! We were bought out by Nu Car Carriers we got 50 brand new Ronald McDonald Cottrells with Louisville Ford's 290 Cummins. Those trailers were very heavy and were pretty much scrapped when everyone went to 12 car stinger steered equipment.The drivers out of the Pittsburgh.rail head were the best group of guys I ever worked with.