David Hulls 1941 FP restored logger

Quoted from Cody Hull

Published on May 22, 2016

On Friday, February 19, 2016 David Hull got his father Homer's fully restored first brand new logging truck, a 1941 Mack FP logging truck out of dry storage in the truck barn. Our family affectionately call this old truck "Christine" David Hull and Wally Kundert got the truck out of the storage shop to begin performing some routine maintenance work and washing & cleaning on the truck. The trailer needed to be unloaded. However, it was a very stormy day with records amount of rain and David did not want to drive the truck to near by Hull Oakes Lumber Company to use their commercial trailer loader. The truck would get wet, muddy and very dirty. David and Wally made the decision to simply unload "Christine's" trailer right in the car port using the Tree Farm's Clark 667 wheel skidder with swing boom/grapple. This worked very handy and kept everything very clean and mostly dry. Homer Hull, purchased this truck brand new in March of 1941 from Mack Sales and Service in Portland, Oregon. Homer had the truck outfitted with brand new Pointer-Willamette bunk equipment and trailer. He was going to by a gypo-log truck hauler, hauling logs to the Hull Oakes Lumber Co. Sawmill in Dawson, Oregon. This, however, did not last long for him. He had the truck for about ten months when he was drafted into the U.S. Army. He was gone for forty-four months, serving in the South Pacific theater of World War II. While he was gone his brother-in-law, Emmitt Nye, worked the truck and made the payments for him. The truck’s original engine was a gas Mack flat head “6”. The truck’s changes began with several things. First the Mack engine was replaced with a Ford flat head V-8 and the chain drive rear-end was taken out and replaced with a Tempkin shaft driven rear-end. These changes were performed during the time period of 1946-47. David Hull states "that It was always a wish of mine to restore this truck. To the best of my knowledge, the original items on this truck are the bunk equipment, cab guard, frame and front axle. Starting in 1988 I began to restore Christine. I used parts from three different donor trucks to complete the restoration and I repowered it with a Ford inline 300 six cylinder gas engine. I also put a four speed spicier main transmission in it and kept the three speed brownie auxiliary." The Clark skidder in this video was purchased brand new in 1980 By Homer Hull. It was Clark's center piece of the 1980 Logging Show at the Lane County fairgrounds in Eugene, Oregon. The machine features a 453T Detroit engine, ESCO swing grapple, with winch. In 1989 the skidder was totally gone through, rebuilt & refurbished. In 2005 the tree farm purchased a D4 Caterpillar hydrive with swing grapple. Thus, the skidder was semi retired and the cat is now our primary log skidder. The old Clark skidder is used on a limited basis mostly in the summers and in emergency cases to unload logging trailers on historic logging trucks. Cody Hull shot this entire video using a GO PRO Hero 4 Silver Edition and this digital short video was created using YouTube Video Editor.

https://youtu.be/e8rpJKnEynM

Edited by 41chevy
  • Like 2

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Hull has some real nice trucks.

Truck Shop

One ping only

• 3 weeks later...