Anyone pull dump trailers? Best Mack for pulling dumps?

I'm getting bored pulling flatbed all the time, I know nothing about specing dump trailers, we grain farm also and have straight trucks to haul grain. I was thinking about buying a dump trailer to haul grain, and maybe I could get some side business also, I'd have to put a wet line on my CH, it has 4:17 rears so I think I'd be good coming out of the field, 9 speed. Frame trailer, frameless? 39ft , or 34 ft tri axle. So many different specs Wondering why they are speced the way they are, thanks.

Ok, yeah , I could probably haul some grain on the side for a local elevator, but man the rate is pretty cheap, and the guys around here don't mind paying overweight tickets. I have no idea what kind of rate dumps are getting hauling sand  , gravel , salt , etc.

It would help if you told us where you would like to do this because, most of the different specs are take advantage of different state rules.  Also rates vary greatly from one region to another.   4.17 sounds good if you are on 22.5 rubber

Yep, Ohio , probably just kinda day dreaming, I see alot of 39' tandems, then see some shorter 34' tamdem with a single wheel lift in front of them, then some tri axles. Then you got frames, frameless, some post and sheet, some round bottom, etc. So many different variations I just wonder about.

Yep, Ohio , probably just kinda day dreaming, I see alot of 39' tandems, then see some shorter 34' tamdem with a single wheel lift in front of them, then some tri axles. Then you got frames, frameless, some post and sheet, some round bottom, etc. So many different variations I just wonder about.

Ohio watches axle weights pretty closely... I had good luck with a 40' spread axle frameless. Hard to load it wrong with a spread axle. The advantage to frameless is lighter than a comparable frame trailer. The only disadvantage to frameless is they may be less stable dumping in some off-road situations. You do need to pay attention to level when dumping.
  • Like 1

39ft frameless has replace alot of the hopper bottoms in my area   east genesis  with 60" sides pretty common and  with alum draft arms and plate  they are very light trailer.   you still have trouble  loading up to 80k with dry  rice though without alot of shovel work  some opt for 68" sides. but I doubt you know what rice is in OH.

i pull side dump belly dump and hopper bottom with my mack, don't use end dumps so i cant really offer much advice there and don't know your local laws. 

for me i run 7 axles and up to 105,500lbs on harvest or winter 10% permits (otherwise legal for 96k) 

4.17 gears would not be my first choice but not a bad choice, i would not choose them because my grain hauls tend to be longer 100-400 miles each way. we also have speed limits up to 75mph and a lot of 70mph speed limits. loaded i typically curse 65-70 i might run 75 at times when legal to if i am pushing it on time. i have 3.70's witch i feel is a good middle ground gear. i would take 4.17's before i would 3.36's or 3.55's but i feel for me the 3.70's is the best compromise. if you have lower speedlimits and more hill's the 4.17's might be the better choice. 

4.17's would be pretty nice at times sometimes the e-7's tq at low rpms is a bit lacking for getting a 105,500 load moving in some situations offroad in spongy ground. ideally i would like my 3.70's with a 18 speed with the lower reduction low gear as opposed to my 13 speed. otherwise iv overall very happy with my setup for the work i do. 

my specs are 2000 mack cx613 70" midroof sleeper eaton 13 speed 40klb rears single frame e-7 mack 460hp

ch's are probably slightly better suited the set forward axle gives you a little more bridge length here we must conform to bridge law witch also means empty weight is very important too, witch is one of the big things i like about my cx. i have a tri axle (2 drive axles 1 pusher in the drive group and then the steer axle) 70" sleeper and my tractor empty weight is under 20k with 240 gallons of fuel onboard and a wet kit and pusher axle. i think door sticker weight on my truck is like 16k sum-thing. 

Oh, I typically run 63 on the freeway, that puts me around 1600 RPM, about 56 on 2 lane , I think about 1500 RPM .  I'm pretty light pulling my 48 ft aluminum flat with chains and tarps I'm a little over 27000lbs. Those Mac frameless sure look nice but pricey, I'd love to run one for a couple days.

• Like 1