Thoughts on European Immigration

Keith Pommerening

50 years ago immigrants had to have a sponsor family that helped the new Americans get settled in and helped find them jobs and help them fit in any way they could. A very close friend of mine immigrated here from Holland in the 50's and has told me stories about immigrating here with his family as a teenager. Immigrants are welcome here IF you want to meld and become part of our society. That doesn't mean giving up all of your culture but it does mean everything you believe in or like doesn't necessarily take precedence over life and culture here.  We don't have to change our society and way of life for you but you are welcome to join ours and add to it. We have the same saying about out of staters here in Montana OD, they move here for the beauty, the laid back lifestyle and the first thing they do is act just like they did in New York or California and make stupid gated communities and post no trespassing signs everywhere. Why move somewhere else and act just like the A-holes from where you just left?

• Like 2

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

On 2/5/2017 at 3:30 PM, HeavyGunner said:

50 years ago immigrants had to have a sponsor family that helped the new Americans get settled in and helped find them jobs and help them fit in any way they could. A very close friend of mine immigrated here from Holland in the 50's and has told me stories about immigrating here with his family as a teenager. Immigrants are welcome here IF you want to meld and become part of our society. That doesn't mean giving up all of your culture but it does mean everything you believe in or like doesn't necessarily take precedence over life and culture here.  We don't have to change our society and way of life for you but you are welcome to join ours and add to it. We have the same saying about out of staters here in Montana OD, they move here for the beauty, the laid back lifestyle and the first thing they do is act just like they did in New York or California and make stupid gated communities and post no trespassing signs everywhere. Why move somewhere else and act just like the A-holes from where you just left?

They believe in the ( Grass looks greener on the other side ). Or they may believe in the Badger way of life, meaning, when they see something new and want it, the badger will screw it up if he knows he can't have it or do something with it. My dad use to say that those people realize that they can't screw it then they will crap and urinate on it.  

• Like 1

Here some interesting immigration history.  In the attached, on Page 2, see the "Oath of Allegiance" that passengers on ships to the new world colonies had to sign - an Oath of Allegiance to King George.   I believe my ancestors had nothing to lose and therefore gladly signed the pledge.  Note the names of the ships and the passengers.  Maybe you can find one of your relatives too...

Rotterdam ship Pallas 1763.docx

Edited by grayhair
  • Like 1