9 speed to 13?

Wasteaway

I have done some research on here about converting a Fuller 9 speed to a 13 speed and I learned  about the "c" designation in the serial number denoting a 9 speed that is designed to be easily made into a 13. I have a 9LL and ran the serial number and it is an overdrive transmission, but no "c" designation. Its my understanding that ONLY the 9 speed with the "c" can be made into a 13 but I just saw this post so I am now wondering if ANY 9 can become a 13 and if so, what is required?

Not more speed. I actually have a 13 in my "old" truck and a 9LL in my "new" 2001 RD688 and I am thinking of swapping them before the International gets sold. The two trannys have the exact same ratios in the upper four gears (on the high side of the 13) and both are .73OD final drives. The beauty of the 13 is the RPMs can be kept in the fat part of the power curve, less lugging and less revving. Come to a hill, split the gear. The 13 can run in a 3-400 RPM range. I expect the Mack to have to be revved more before shifts and lugged more in the next higher gear and/or not be able to pull the next gear. Just for more versatility. Easier on the truck.

• Like 2

Oh, and the post I was referring to was here

And I read this;

On 7/4/2010 at 7:19 AM, HK Trucking said:

Hey HK,

I put the back box off a 13 speed on my 9 speed and we changed the top gears in the rear ends to 16-17 to come up with a 3.86 ratio and it all works great. I to was concerned with take off and hurting m............

• 1 month later...

i have never done it but i know a standard 9 speed can have a splitter box added to it to make it into a 13, there is also the 9c that is a 13 speed that already has a spliter box just its blocked out. a 9ll i would guess cannot be converted as its already going to have a splitter for deep reduction. but you may be able to trade that one out for the normal 13 back box. i really doubt you could compound them. although that would be a pretty sweet setup if you could. 

but as far as i am aware a standard 9 speed, is the same forward section as a 13. i even know someone that had a 10 speed they added a 13 rear splitter too and made it kinda a funkey 15 speed where you split the top rather than having a deep reduction like a normal 15. 

Eaton charges $1,500 against any up grade so does Weller.  So whatever the core is worth just subtract 1,500. And in some cases even more for early type main cases with the 1 1/4 fill plug. Eaton has been destroying those early cases, they won't reuse those anymore.

Truck Shop 

One ping only

3 hours ago, kscarbel2 said:

And remember, since 2014, Eaton is offering a 3-year warranty on their reman transmissions (which also gives you a 3-year clutch warranty in that "bundle"). You can't knock that with a stick.

http://www.roadranger.com/ecm/groups/public/@pub/@eaton/@roadranger/documents/content/apsl0300.pdf

You left out the five gallon pail of 50wt synthetic lube that goes with that Eaton trans and clutch deal.

Truck Shop

One ping only

• 2 years later...
On 1/1/2017 at 8:55 PM, Wasteaway said:

Not more speed. I actually have a 13 in my "old" truck and a 9LL in my "new" 2001 RD688 and I am thinking of swapping them before the International gets sold. The two trannys have the exact same ratios in the upper four gears (on the high side of the 13) and both are .73OD final drives. The beauty of the 13 is the RPMs can be kept in the fat part of the power curve, less lugging and less revving. Come to a hill, split the gear. The 13 can run in a 3-400 RPM range. I expect the Mack to have to be revved more before shifts and lugged more in the next higher gear and/or not be able to pull the next gear. Just for more versatility. Easier on the truck.

I have a 9 spd, just bought the kit to turn it into a 13. I like 13s for the same reason you stated above. My question is regarding MPG consumption, did you notice a difference after turned into 13 in mpg consumption compared to when it was a 9 spd?. I guess it would help having more range less lugging and maintaining momentum when going through hills but not sure. Just wondering

Hi, I have a 1992 RW613 that I just swapped from a 9 Eaton Fuller to a 13 Eaton Fuller. I purchased from Weller and the truck is a different animal (for the better). It no longer lugs down or is wound tight like it use to before the swap. It has an electronic E7-350, 4.17 on air ride Mack suspension. Its consumption has improved dramatically. I can't say enough good things about the swap.

The approximately 38 mile haul grossing 88K it's using average 20 gallons of diesel less per day.(5 trips per day)                                                                                                  On the approximately 65 mile haul grossing 88K it's using average 30 gallons of diesel less per day. (3 trips per day) 

FYI: If I remember correctly I only had a $500 upcharge for the core swap.

• Like 1