Million miles on a MP8?

Mainly depends on how you drive and maintain it. Anything can get big miles if you take care of it and don't abuse it.     Paul

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I 'm all pre emissions but most I know who run the Granite's( Horan, and Bromans on L.I. and Shaw Construction in Maine) have no more problems than other makes and may be even less because of their maintenance schedules.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

The bottom ends of the MP8 series have been doing quite well.  Lots of untouched 7-800,000 mile highway units with the bottom ends untouched still running. Cups and injectors done already of coarse.  Lol.  Rebuilding or installing a drop in of this series of engine is just shy of double of it it would cost to do an etech in frame or drop in.  A 2010 with a spun bearing came in.  A drop in engine, plus labor to swap was just shy of $40k Canadian. Not cheap.

Gone are the days of the drop in Maxidyne for 6,000.

Yeah, I remember my first mechanic job in the late '80s my boss getting Pedigreed exchange E6 for $7500 with a good core. Plus my labor to swap. Didn't make a lot of money at that job, but learned a lot.

Was looking for some photos, but can't put my hand on them. Kearney Trucking in Portland, PA. had some sharp Macks back in the day.

People always forget about the bullgears/timing gears on a MP. That's why I push the Mack Reman engine when overhaul or major engine failure occurs. Why spend 20K on an overhaul when a year later your bull gear goes out and your screwed again. Drop in the reman and it's all covered! Downfall is it's 30-35K  

48 minutes ago, Mackpro said:

People always forget about the bullgears/timing gears on a MP. That's why I push the Mack Reman engine when overhaul or major engine failure occurs. Why spend 20K on an overhaul when a year later your bull gear goes out and your screwed again. Drop in the reman and it's all covered! Downfall is it's 30-35K