Truck Sales Stats- Sept. YTD

Red Horse

Here are 9 mos YTD sales stats;

Class 3-4-5    Leader  Ram at 43.45%, Ford 2nd at 34.21.  Ram gain of .16% and Ford gain of .10%  Next closest GM at 15.1% combined Chev/GM.  Down from 15.3 last month.  But watch GM as the Isuzu's hit the Chevy dealer lots.

Class 6  Ford still leader at 33.75%, up from 33.67  F'liner flat at 31.05% in 2nd.  Nav. down to 20.9% (surprising) Hino up to 10.71% from10.68

Class 7  F'liner still leader at 47.3%-but down from 48.23%  Nav in 2nd at 28.29% but up big time from 26.77%  

Ford 5th of 6 in the class at 4.65%, down from 5.03%     For the month Ford was last with Hino beating Ford.   So IMO, big question is when does Ford marketing decide the 6.7 Power Stroke just isn't cutting it with class 7 buyers-and the V-10 is NOT an attractive gas option in class 7.  Been a couple of weeks since I checked out the Altec lot next town over but last time I looked, Navistar and F'liner continued to own the big utility truck market.  There were always a few 750's awaiting install in the Cummins days-not anymore.

On another positive note, local Jerr-Dan dealer has two 650 roll backs in stock ready to go-both Power Strokes.

As for class 8, F'liner continues to lead at 38.96% share-but down from 39.48  combined Paccar up to 28.5% from 28% and combined Volvo/M up slightly to 18.96.  Nav down slightly to 11.04% but IMO I would bet they soon show a good bump.  New HX vocational is starting to show up at dealers.   And they also have a new replacement for ProStar OTR tractor

This sort of answers the question posted on another thread as to how Mack was doing.-basically FLAT!  Mack was 8.71% in Sept, 8.65 in Aug. 8.75 in July-again cumulative YTD numbers.  

5 hours ago, TS7 said:

I do not think Ram sells more than Ford. Ford: F-350, F-450, F-550, E-350, E-450, Transit 350 and F stripped chassis. What does Ram have? Ford has 4 plants building Class3-5 Trucks.

Ram in fact is the leader in Classes 3, 4 and 5 on a consistent basis. In any case, what are the four Ford plants that build class 3, 4 and 5?  I can think of three- KTP, OAP and ?? Kansas City - assuming they are class 3 Transits??  And these are US stats by the way

• Like 1

Bob's right, Dodge (aka. Ram) is the U.S. market leader in Class 3, 4 and 5.

And I can tell you, I know a lot of fleet owners who have switched from Ford to Dodge. They love the 1500 with the Ecodiesel, and the heavier models with the Cummins ISB. They had all become disillusioned with Ford. They thought to give Dodge "a try", and were all pleasantly surprised by the performance, reliability and fuel economy. They were really surprised, but now very strong Dodge advocates.

2 hours ago, blackdog2 said:

go to Lowe's Home Depot state  & local public works and see the majority wins FORD and my yard 4 letter win MACK-FORD

Yes EJ but We are prejudiced.  As KSC says, guys buy Dodges (for sure 4500, 5500's with 6.7 Cummins) and besides saving a lot of upfront money, they have no issues.  I'm not saying the 6.7 PowerStroke and Torqueshift has issues, but are they not at least typically 3 grand above a Dodge?

8 minutes ago, Red Horse said:

Yes EJ but We are prejudiced.  As KSC says, guys buy Dodges (for sure 4500, 5500's with 6.7 Cummins) and besides saving a lot of upfront money, they have no issues.  I'm not saying the 6.7 PowerStroke and Torqueshift has issues, but are they not at least typically 3 grand above a Dodge?

My 2015  5500 DODGE was a left over they couldn't sell with the odd chassis length. I got close to $11 grand off the sticker price. Also adding to the sales is the large number of heavy Dodge/ Fiat fleet vans bought by the USPS. Ram dealer in Portsmouth Maine and the pair in Richmond  and Charlottesville Virginia are giving factory rebates of close to $10,000 on a 3/4 ton and up. Most municipal truck in Virginia and on Long Island are Fords and Navistars.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

10 hours ago, 41chevy said:

My 2015  5500 DODGE was a left over they couldn't sell with the odd chassis length. I got close to $11 grand off the sticker price. Also adding to the sales is the large number of heavy Dodge/ Fiat fleet vans bought by the USPS. Ram dealer in Portsmouth Maine and the pair in Richmond  and Charlottesville Virginia are giving factory rebates of close to $10,000 on a 3/4 ton and up. Most municipal truck in Virginia and on Long Island are Fords and Navistars.

Bingo on the rebates!  and same here in New England-for sure on the Muni- 550s.  My town has a new one on order with a wing!  I think that is dumb adding a wing on a 19,500 chassis but I'm told they are becoming popular.  there goes my mail box!

4 hours ago, TS7 said:

There is a plant in Detroit that builds F-59 motor home trucks. USPS Ram vans are not class 3. KTP and Kansas City build way more trucks Ram does. Fiat sales are not always true, check it out Kscarbel.

Ah- correct on the outsourced F-59 chassis.  and correct that the USPS Rams are not class 3.  And you are probably correct that KTP and KC build more trucks than Ram does.  But we are not talking about who builds more trucks-we are talking about who sells more class 3-4-5s.  And unfortunately from my Ford stockholder perspective, it is FCA-call it Dodge, Ram or Fiat.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, TeamsterGrrrl said:

Could be that's Ford's production capacity was down during the switchover to the new model Super Duty.

Don't think so.  They have had close to a 10% lead all year long.  But if in fact they (FCA) are selling for a few grand less than Ford, I think Ford will keep the "premium" selling price and let  FCA enjoy the "sales crown".  And keep in mind, the Fords are vertically integrated in terms of power trains when it comes to diesels (other than the small VM).  No profit going to Cummins or whoever.  While I beat the drum that Ford should be offering a Cummins/Allison option in class 6 and 7-assuming they don't want to bring their Duratorq 6 cyl over here- they have to be a bit more profitable in 3-4 and 5 because of that in-house capability.

• Like 1