Pictures of the Week

other dog

3 hours ago, Brian Blaylock said:

Is it just my eyes or does it look like the girl with the black and white skirt have some extra parts looking out from under her skirt

It took me no less than half a minute to figure out the true reason of that scene.

Hell, what things I was watching! Such a neat bus on the other shots!..

Tom, thank you for sharing this portion of your life activity. 

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

12 hours ago, Back In Black Pulling said:

I was trying to figure out what kind of truck this is...I just don't know.

DSCN3265.JPG

I think they use that to break up the concrete slabs in the road. Like a wrecking ball pick it up and drop it, if you drove past while they are doing it you can feel it your truck.

that is a drill rig.

a hydraulic hammer on the boom of an excavator is used to break the concrete road slabs.

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

a lot of companies use drill rigs to drill test pits to see how deep bedrock is, or for core samples to see what the makeup of the road bed soil is.

one of the companies in the yard where we park has over 50 drill rigs that get used for just that. i go out 4-5 times a year on average in a crash truck to do shoulder closures for the drill rigs.

22 hours ago, tjc transport said:

a lot of companies use drill rigs to drill test pits to see how deep bedrock is, or for core samples to see what the makeup of the road bed soil is.

one of the companies in the yard where we park has over 50 drill rigs that get used for just that. i go out 4-5 times a year on average in a crash truck to do shoulder closures for the drill rigs.

That makes sense kinda that that to after i thought about awhile . After sleeping on it i realized i was thinking of some other contraption i saw out there , some kind of roller thing pulled behind a truck that smashed the concrete, but hell that was 10 15 years ago forgive my blonde moment . The memory isn't what it use to be  :blink:

yup, the very large sheepsfoot roller with vibratory drum towed behind a big truck. weighs around 25 ton. the small knobs combined with the vibrator crumbles the thin concrete into bite sized chunks.

you know you did a days work after towing one of them around for 10-12 hours.

that only works on less than around 6 inch thick or very old concrete.

the newer concrete or thicker stuff is just too strong, and needs a hydraulic hammer to break it up.

On June 29, 2016 at 7:22 PM, tjc transport said:

yup, the very large sheepsfoot roller with vibratory drum towed behind a big truck. weighs around 25 ton. the small knobs combined with the vibrator crumbles the thin concrete into bite sized chunks.

you know you did a days work after towing one of them around for 10-12 hours.

that only works on less than around 6 inch thick or very old concrete.

the newer concrete or thicker stuff is just too strong, and needs a hydraulic hammer to break it up.

I remember when they were re-doing I376 (formerly RT60) here in Pittsburgh, they had these giant guillotine apparatus's that picked up and dropped onto the roadway to break up concrete... one and only time I ever saw that, but I rarely get up from underneath cows any more. 

What are those things called?

Fun is what they fine you for!

My name is Bob Buckman sir,. . . and I hate truckers.