Need purchase help.

Mxsledder

I'm looking to purchase another tractor for my demolition business. Truck will be pulling an end dump and in a year or so be doing some heavy haul.

I'm looking at ordering a new Kenworth T880 heavy haul right now (dealer is getting very aggressive on a order)

But... My local Mac dealer has a new 2015 mh 613 that's setup fairly well with the mp8 505 horse motor and 18 speed trans.

I haven't heard very good things from locals here about Macks since they merged with Volvo. Do you guys think this truck would do me good or would you just bite the bullet and get the Kenworth?

thanks in advance 

They are as good as a KW in my opinion! but thats not saying much because there all garbage now !Everyone is doing the same thing cheap cheap cheap!Get an older unit even if you have to put money in it you'll have a more dependable unit! 

• Like 1

You'll be going off road and operating in a state with a 129,000 pound weight limit, IIRC. That means it's doubtful if you'll be able to find a truck properly spec'ed for the job in dealer inventory. For those kind of loads you need at least a 14k front axle, 44k rear axle, 5/16" or thicker frame, space to mount a pusher axle, cross as well as inter axle diff locks, and at least 500 HP and deep reduction gearing in the transmission if you're running in the valleys and 600 HP if you're running in the mountains. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the input! You guys are awesome.

I really like both trucks but my Kenworth dealer has much better service. I understand some of the earlier trucks with the new emissions could be complete nightmares but I've heard of many guys happy with some of the newer ISX Cummins.

I completely agree with the specs for heavy haul!

At this point I'm really leaning towards ordering a T880 heavy haul set up right from the start.

Thanks again for all of your feedback.

I agree that it is where you will get the best service... The construction company I work for got two new 2015 KW t880's. The one I am driving just turned 10,000 miles and the AC quit ( leaked off somewhere) and after I firehose or pressure wash it the check engine comes on and shows 1 active fault, something dealing with the regen bullshit. Moisture is screwing with it somewhere, mechanic plugs in and resets it and it's fine till next wash.  It does fine hooked to a lowboy haulin what ever or the side dump or belly dump train. It is a nice truck but I personally like the t800 a lot better.  This ISX does have some power, but it does not respond like my pumped up Big Cam 400... 

There's a fleet here running dozens of new 880 kw's. They're pulling tankers hauling milk. I hear the same complaints from all the drivers. Mediocre a/c, tons of electrical issues, dull non semi truck like dash and the paccar motors have had turbo and after treatment issues. I can't speak for the mp8 Mack's, but I have a 2015 with an mp10 pushing 200,000 miles and have had zero emissions issues. But I keep idle time down to 8%

• Like 1

Seems like other truck makers always get a pass when they have have trouble . I hear it all the the time I bought a mack had a couple issues I'll never buy another one. Then they buy a kw or Pete and have issues and brag how great the truck is . 

Your Kenworth dealer's good service is peace of mind.

The Cummins ISX will have trouble-free Cummins-Scania XPI (extra-high pressure) common rail injection.

Volvo (Mack) is only now going to common rail, but it's a cheap system (from Delphi) that is a retrofit for a unit pump engine architecture. Their unit pump engines have been a nightmare in the US with injector cup failures and crankcase oil fuel dilution.

The best US market engine, right now, is the DD15. But it's only available in Freightliners and Western Stars.

You can get a Kenworth, Peterbilt, Freightliner or Western Star glider kit at a very attractive price with a pre-emissions Detroit Series 60, Cummins N14 or CAT C15...............https://www.fitzgeraldgliderkits.com/#

Get a price from Fitzgerald on a T800 with the Series 60 and your options.......let us know the quoted price versus a new T880.