In gear but rear driveshaft not spinning

mholm

1962 Mack B85F Fire Truck, when in gear not engaging rear drive shaft. Can shift through gears and feel the gears turning. Driveshaft from main transmission to the pump transmission spinning when in gear and neutral (stops when clutch engaged), but no movement on rear driveshaft from pump transmission to rear axle. Have toggled switch for pump, hear the click but not sure if that's the issue. Or possibly hand brake behind pump transmission might be culprit. Looking for any ideas on where to start. 

What VALS327 said and don't do it with the truck in road gear while you try the manual override. It should be running at idle in neutral. If it won't shift you may need to put it gear, let the clutch out briefly, and then return to neutral before re-trying the manual override. I have also had cases where the manual override was frozen from lack of use. If it acts like it is stuck a couple of smacks with a hammer will usually free it up.

Edited by fxfymn
  • Like 1

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Thanks for the responses, been a great help but still not moving. Kids all around it so very well could have been the overide, but either way I'm not getting it in drive gear it seems. Can feel it going into gear and front driveshaft stops in idle but still can't get truck to move. Hit in with hammer to make sure in, again same. Seems stuck between road and pump maybe? Tried toggling electric switch in cab and overide to see if I can get a response but same.

The overide does seem to be moving an arm on the transfer case, so possibly an internal issue with the transfer case? I did let out the clutch in gear with parking break on for a split second last time I parked it. Could I have busted something in the transfer case?

Also I just have the electric switch in cab and the overide lever just below and to the right of the pump panel. Couldn't find a 2nd lever that is connected? Is there more to the switch between drive and pump than the arm on top of the transfer case?

Have a friend hit the switch while you watch the levers to see if they move. I doubt that letting the clutch out with the parking brake on would do any damage.

Is the pump turning? 

• Like 1

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Levers do move, turns an arm on top of transfer case. When truck is running and in neutral I pushed lever in and can feel gears slowing down then lock in. Front driveshaft stops like it's in drive but then truck still not moving. I have a buddy coming by on Monday to help me look at driveshafts while truck is in gear.

• 2 weeks later...

Broken pump trans output shaft. Waterous unfortunately doesn't have the part nor cast to make one. Have specs and part # 70375. Anyone have any idea to try to track one down or s machine shop that could make one?

Hello that sucks,

Its a long shot by there was a guy recently who posted his B model tractor he converted from a fire engine. His handle is ttttrucks. Try to reach out to him and hopefully he has not scrapped the transfer case yet. Other then that put the word out and Google search. I'm sure there a dusty one sitting on a shelf some where. Temporary fix to allow you to drive the rig and enjoy it would be remove transfer case and install a longer drive shaft.

Good luck,

Don

Edited by VALS327
  • Like 1

First shot would be Cal Little. It shouldn't be hard to find another transfer case. Remember it was probably used in many trucks, not just Macks.

Try advertising on SPAAMFAA's web site as well.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, VALS327 said:

Hello that sucks,

Its a long shot by there was a guy recently who posted his B model tractor he converted from a fire engine. His handle is ttttrucks. Try to reach out to him and hopefully he has not scrapped the transfer case yet. Other then that put the word out and Google search. I'm sure there a dusty one sitting on a shelf some where. Temporary fix to allow you to drive the rig and enjoy it would be remove transfer case and install a longer drive shaft.

Good luck,

Don

Here is the thread worth a shot.  

http://www.bigmacktrucks.com/topic/44677-b-mack-fire-truck-turned-into-cool-truck/#comment-329656

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

You might also try D&D Truck Repair and Towing, Hagerstown, MD. Dave has converted a Type 75 and may have a transfer case. He also has several Mack fire trucks in his yard that are being parted out.

• Like 1

Thought I'd provide an update. Tracked down a few Macks with pumps, one from ebay winshield rig, two from D&D ('55, '64 & a '65) also talked to Cal Little and several others. Nothing short of great people all trying to help but unfortunately no match. Haven't heard back from ttttrucks, even tried dialing a Canada # from a post of his but not him. Also still trying to get in touch with the '61 Mack on ebay but won't return calls. Waiting on several custom gear manufactures for quotes, only one I got back wants $8k. Appreciate all the advice, we'll see what happens but looking like I might have to bypass pump and go with a custom driveshaft to at least get back on the road.

The other option would be to change the pump along with the transfer case. If the transfer case is not integral to the pump you may be able to just go with a different transfer case. 

• Like 2

On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 10:29 PM, mholm said:

Thought I'd provide an update. Tracked down a few Macks with pumps, one from ebay winshield rig, two from D&D ('55, '64 & a '65) also talked to Cal Little and several others. Nothing short of great people all trying to help but unfortunately no match. Haven't heard back from ttttrucks, even tried dialing a Canada # from a post of his but not him. Also still trying to get in touch with the '61 Mack on ebay but won't return calls. Waiting on several custom gear manufactures for quotes, only one I got back wants $8k. Appreciate all the advice, we'll see what happens but looking like I might have to bypass pump and go with a custom driveshaft to at least get back on the road.

If all else fails and you have the original, contact a Motion Industries sales guy.  I know a dam good one if you can't find one who wants to help.  They can contact Martin Gear (Texas I believe).  They can make anything gear related and are VERY reasonable in my experience.  I'm assuming it is shaft with a gear on it...if it's just a spline shaft, any good shop should be able to help.  Post a picture of the culprit if you can.

• Like 1

See attached specs from Waterous. Yeah, shaft / gear, the one of the truck is all twisted and broken up. Finally found a machine shop to do it for $1300 but they need 8 weeks.... Another said they'd do it in a week, for $14,000, that one was a good laugh. Closest pump / transfer case I found several hundred miles away and a whole lot of uncertainty. Still goose chasing while trying to figure out if I can just run a small custom drive shaft temporarily to swap out later.

Waterous 70375.pdf

the one of the truck is all twisted and broken up.

Before you put another shaft in you need to find out why this happened as this is almost unheard of. Did you try to engage the pump at high speed by mistake? Was the pump frozen? A seized bearing? A broken shaft that is twisted and broken is probably a symptom of an issue, not the cause.:(