Shaking at highway speed please help

Kipper5136

I have a shake that feels like the front end one mechanic told me it was a drum I changed both on steer axle another told me it was the torque arms on rears truck also has brand new steer tires an had a 3 axle alignment does anyone know what I should change next it's doing it between 50-60 mph then clears out 

Are your wheels hub pilot? On my CX the centering tabs on the hub were worn, not able to center the wheel. The only thing that saved me from buying new hubs is a product called TRU-BALANCE. It is a sleeve for the wheel studs that keeps hub pilot wheels perfectly centered. I highly recommend this, and keep them in my toolbox.

• Like 1

Vibration/shaking can be tough to solve.  The list includes out of balance tires, incorrectly balanced brake drums, out of round tires, bent wheels, bad u joints, bad center bearing, incorrect pinion angles, splined driveshaft out of time, bad motor mounts, etc.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

Pretty much.  Crappy tires can be a big problem.  But unless there is a smoking gun like really bad tire wear or something, finding the issue can be very frustrating.  Did your problem just start one day or has it been getting worse slowly?

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

Just curious, was the shake there before you put new steer tires on it? An out of round or un balanced tire will case vibration at a specific speed

Just throwing parts at it is senseless and wasting money. If you have broken or worn parts that you know are there, start by doing them.

In your other thread on this subject, you asked if a broken spring would cause the vibration.. Is One Broken?   Replace it before it causes a fatality.

Every component should to be looked at for wear or damage from hard parts to bushings. do it visually and mechanically 

Does the vibration ease up at speed if you turn to the left or right? Any noise with the vibration?    Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Paul  some history about my truck. It sat for three years and since I bougt it all I have done is throw parts at it .

i think it needs new steer tires and probably could use tires all the way around .

my next move is to replace the front 3 u joints and carrier bearing.  Then put on new steer tires..

what I fill when I am driving it is a struggle for power between 35 mph and 55 mph witch is when the shake is 

happening. Thanks for the help and I'll just keep working at it until it goes down the road smooth.

2 hours ago, Tbear said:

what I fill when I am driving it is a struggle for power between 35 mph and 55 mph witch is when the shake is 

happening. Thanks for the help and I'll just keep working at it until it goes down the road smooth.

What do you mean struggle for power? 

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

1 hour ago, 41chevy said:

What do you mean struggle for power? 

The truck just dogs down like some one detuned it . I haven't had it to the dealer yet  but that's coming.

the motor is an e7 460 but runs like my old 8.3 cummins . Once you reach 65 mph things Are good as long as traffic lets you stay there. When you go below 55 mph you have to start all over and that is when the shake or sutter start . May be the power is there and you can't fill it because of the shakes.

5 minutes ago, Tbear said:

What do mean it is my power problem ?

I think so

my truck was missing & I thought it was the road causing it; it would have a vibration at times but it was my injecters; 

diferent truck but same type deal; mine wasn't constant at firist; that's why I thought it was the road

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 1965 said:

Think you know what the problem is but you don't know it; think it's your power problem

Now that you say injectors , when I looked at the truck for the first time we thought that it had 1 bad injector.     Maybe it is bad and that is the power and shake problem I've got . Thanks for the input . I'll have to check it out.

2 hours ago, Tbear said:
2 hours ago, Tbear said:

Now that you say injectors , when I looked at the truck for the first time we thought that it had 1 bad injector.     Maybe it is bad and that is the power and shake problem I've got . Thanks for the input . I'll have to check it out.

Let us know what you find out

13 hours ago, Tbear said:
3 hours ago, Tbear said:

That would do it. Keep us posted.    Paul

P.T.CHESHIRE