What Mack susp is this?

We looked at a 1979 RL600 a while back and it had a rear suspension that I have never seen before, not that that means anything.  I'm just curious as to what it's technical name would be. My best guess is that it is a Mack version of Hendrickson extended leaf.  You ride on the leaf springs when empty and on the walking beams when loaded.  As far as the truck was concerned, it was a fairly clean factory 20k steer axle with an aluminum frame.    The radiator was soft, busted leaf spring on the right rear and trunnion was in tough shape.   We couldn't get together on a price we could work with, but the suspension still has my curiosity. 

mack susp.JPG

It is beam over leaf and uses the designation of SC.  In the 80's, it was available with 34,000 (SC342) or 38,000 (SC38).  Years before it was called SWC with the same ratings.

The SC style uses the common rubber blocks and spring boxes to attach the axles and the SWC used springs with eyes and bolts to attach to the axles.

• Like 1

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

5 hours ago, Superdog said:

My B53s have that suspension.

The B53's had eye and bolt on the end, later ones had the T leaf. I drove a dump for years with the old one, always kept a spare spring in my shop, got to where I could change it in a couple of hours.   terry

Edited by terry