rectifier

609albert

Converts AC to DC   Being a firetruck maybe for on site lighting or other FD related equipment?     Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

They convert the 3 phase AC alternator output to DC to operate the vehicle electrical system and charge the battery's. Newer alternators use internally mounted Diodes to do the same thing.

Last time I saw one was on a 62 Mack fire pumper, it took up a lot of room and Leece Nevile had a smaller Diode/heatsink to replace it.

I remember some years ago doing electrical work at a Ambulance station and all Ambulances had a plug on the side to plug them into mains power when not being used I guess because they had so much electrical stuff in them and were never really turned off as in the radios were always going and lights and stuff on inside them 

They also had a cutout so when it was plugged into mains you couldnt start them 

I wonder does a fire truck have they same type of thing ????

Paul 

7 hours ago, mrsmackpaul said:

I remember some years ago doing electrical work at a Ambulance station and all Ambulances had a plug on the side to plug them into mains power when not being used I guess because they had so much electrical stuff in them and were never really turned off as in the radios were always going and lights and stuff on inside them 

They also had a cutout so when it was plugged into mains you couldnt start them 

I wonder does a fire truck have they same type of thing ????

Paul 

Modern apparatus (both ambulances and fire trucks) have "shore lines" to keep things like portable radios, flashlights and other handheld electrical equipment charged while they are in the station.  I believe it also helps keep the batteries of the vehicle charged, but that may not always be the case

• Like 1

Since modern fire and EMS units have the same types of parasitic losses that plague all modern stuff they all use some type of on-board charging system that is plugged into "shore" power when they are in quarters. The really neat feature about most of these plugs is a built in solenoid that "kicks" the cord out of the socket when the truck is started if the driver fails to unplug it before trying to leave quarters. (We always left the cord looped around the steering wheel or driver's door handle to help prevent that little boo-boo.) 

Most older stuff, 1940's and 50's, also used a rectifier based system to keep the batteries charged while in quarters. Perhaps you have noticed an odd shaped electrical outlet on older trucks that typically has two horizontal slots in lieu of the standard vertical slots for a plug to fit into. That was the standard plug for an on-board charger at the time.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!