Traditional oil VS. synthetic blend

Is it worth an extra $2. a gallon to go to a synthetic blend?  98 CH w/ E7 427 reman in 2008.   I do use a gallon of Lucas at every oil change (10,000 miles). Is a blend worth it?  I do mostly local dump work with occaisonal regional flatbed work.  But lots of dirty dusty conditions. 

I had read an article in Consumer Reports some time ago that was about synthetic vs dino oils. In a nut shell, the synthetics did perform better than regular oils.........in extreme temperatures/environments . The current blend of conventional oils is superior to oils just 5-10 years ago and that article was 10+ years ago.

At that time they had run the test on 100 NY cabs with a certain number with conventional and some with synthetics. Oil changes happened at 3000, 5000 and 10,000 miles. At the end of a year the engines were torn apart and components were measured. They could not see a big difference between all the engines in measurements from synthetic to conventional oils. Their conclusion was that synthetics do have an advantage in extreme temperatures/environments but for the typical everyday application it was to no advantage to use synthetics.  

It's all a matter of peronal preference, you take care of your engine and it will take care of you. Personally, I won't waste my money on synthetic oil unless the OEM requires it. Transmissions and rear ends are a different story, they fall under extreme environments. 

BTW, Consumer Reports also did tests on the miracle oils vs regular oils, you know, the miracle add to oils that were supposed to keep your engine running even if they ran out of oil. You've seen the commercials. They would add the miracle oil to an engine and run it for quite some time. They would drain the oil on both test vehicles (miracle oil engine and regular oil engine), drive both vehicles on the tet track. Both vehicle engines failed at about 100 yards within 10 ft of each other. Same results despite what miracle oil they used.

Sorry for the long post, bored 

• Like 2

I have read that the synthetic blends are no better than straight oil. The article said either go full synthetic or stick with regular oil, don't waste your money on blends.

I have no idea how true this is but it was in a article I read.

Back in 1990 I bought a new Mustang. Put 12,000 miles on it before getting the bright idea to change over to 20w50 Mobil1 fully synthetic oil from the 10w30 conventional oils. From that day forward that engine started to leak oil. It leaked from every gasket on that engine. I have never gone back to synthetic oils because of that reason. I new it had good qualities in synthetic oils but not at that expense of oil being lost on the ground. But as they say some peoples pockets are deeper. 

1 hour ago, Mike said:

Back in 1990 I bought a new Mustang. Put 12,000 miles on it before getting the bright idea to change over to 20w50 Mobil1 fully synthetic oil from the 10w30 conventional oils. From that day forward that engine started to leak oil. It leaked from every gasket on that engine. I have never gone back to synthetic oils because of that reason. I new it had good qualities in synthetic oils but not at that expense of oil being lost on the ground. But as they say some peoples pockets are deeper. 

I had a similar experience. Put synthetic in my pickup and it started using oil. Went back to regular oil and it quit. 

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

If you start from new with synthetic you will not have problems with leaks. If you switch from conventional to synthetic, because of the different qualities you will leak and even smoke a bit. The reason as we were told by Mobile and Penzoil was the "organic" oils are molecularity to "thick to go past seal points and rings".  Is that true? I have not idea but it does make sense to my old brain.  

My  2007 Ford has had full synthetic engine and gear oil since it had 500 miles on it, no leaks and oils come out as clean as it goes in both in engine, trans and rear.  The other side of the coin my SVT Mustang Race car with full synthetic acted like a mosquito killer. The 45 pounds of boost gave massive blow by that went away using plain Penzoil oil.    Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I also switched back from synthetic because I felt they both gave the same protection. Reason for the leaks from what I heard was synthetic cleaned all the old gunk which built up around all the gaskets which caused the leaks. Even though they are the same 15W40 viscosity the synthetic feels thinner. 

I had the same thing happen in mt 98 12 valve cummins dodge 

when I went back to rosella 10/40 w the leaks slowed down but never went totally away.

Iagree what ever you start with stay with.

the 98 has 375,000 miles on it. My 07 dodge 5.7 l cummins had 225,000 miles with no leaks and 

and I have always used valve line 10/40 blend

I read a oil analysis report that said manufacturers recommended synthetic oils in newer engines and components due to the tighter tolerance and that conventional oil can not provide the film required to provide wear protection.

It is best to run what the manufacturer recommends and if they recommend a synthetic as an option then you have to do a cost benefit analysis to see what works for you financially. As far as the leaks it would have to do I would think with the degerant that is added but even regular oil has had degerant added for more than 20 years. So unless it was an older engine I not sure how the degerant would effect the leaking unless it was coincidence.

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."