More regulatory BS from the Obama Admin...

RowdyRebel

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2016/02/09/epa-proposal-would-restrict-road-to-racecar-conversions/
The Specialty Equipment Market Association, more commonly known as SEMA, raised the alarm after coming across a passage in the federal agencys Greenhouse Gas Emissions and Fuel Efficiency Standards for Medium- and Heavy-Duty Engines and Vehicles - Phase 2 proposal that reads:Certified motor vehicles and motor vehicle engines and their emission control devices must remain in their certified configuration even if they are used solely for competition or if they become non-road vehicles or engines.According to SEMA, which represents the aftermarket parts and custom car industry, this passage means just what it says: Cars and trucks originally built and sold for street use would not be exempt from emissions rules if they are converted into competition vehicles.And the EPA agrees.
When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

I'm not exactly a puppet of SEMA, but this regulation shows how little the EPA understands of racing. They're aiming at the "coal rollers", but managing instead to shoot racers in the back and themselves in the foot. And this is the agency that along with the even more "drunk with power" CARB that thinks it can fix the VW diesels?

NASCAR made 2.8 Billion last year. NHRA made 1.4 Billion last year, add the teams, drivers, parts suppliers, car builders and other support aspects you can double it. Thats not even counting the local guy off the street. Oh and add the monies made from food, lodging for the areas around the tracks, Licensed collectibles. . . that should take a rather large chunk out of the economy and tax base.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

NASCAR made 2.8 Billion last year. NHRA made 1.4 Billion last year. . . that should take a rather large chunk out of the economy and tax base.

That's ok the "rich" will just have to pull their own weight and make up the difference, oh yeah Obummer and Hillary would fall into that category so instead the working class will again expect to pay for more. Sounds like a well thought out economic plan to me.

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

F' them I will give no more. They got my youth, graduated high school on sunday and was at fort Dix on monday getting inducted. Destroyed my legs fill me with shrapnel and spit on me when I came home. Regulated my farm, salvage business, laundry mat and hobby shop to death. How my race car and hobby cars are targeted? No More!

[/quote

I hear ya I hope you got my sarcasm is that post. I'm a young man and for see being royally screwed the rest of my lifetime from government over spending and over taxation.

• Like 1

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

I'm a young man and for see being royally screwed the rest of my lifetime from government over spending and over taxation.

I'm right there with you. I have a ways to go yet and it feels like this country has been on a down hill slide for the past 20 years.

I'm sure it feels like longer for others, but the steady decline has been in fast forward since the early 90's and doesn't seem

to be slowing. Not sure what the answer is. I'd like to keep a positive outlook on the future, but I'll probably be working till

I'm 115............just to keep insurance and have some groceries.

F' them I will give no more. They got my youth, graduated high school on sunday and was at fort Dix on monday getting inducted. Destroyed my legs fill me with shrapnel and spit on me when I came home. Regulated my farm, salvage business, laundry mat and hobby shop to death. How my race car and hobby cars are targeted? No More!

[/quote

I hear ya I hope you got my sarcasm is that post. I'm a young man and for see being royally screwed the rest of my lifetime from government over spending and over taxation.

Got the dig loud and clear :)

Here is my bitch. My farm is down from the original 360 acres to 16, I am taxed and regulated in the Township of Riverhead and Suffolk County on water usage, nitrates and dust. My salvage business is regulated on Ground Water Pollution, soil pollution, Lead, oil anti freeze, batteries, toxins from burning a unit apart to move it (think pre WWII tin buildings at old ship yard in Green Port) and even old tires. Laundry Mat the Local, the County, state and Federal EPA regulate the extraction of soap, bleaches and lint from the wash water. Even heat exhaust from drier stacks. State and Federal Tax men require that my total income matches up to supplies and services sold material invoices and total water usage. Hobby shop is regulated on the li ion batteries, Nitro RC fuel, hobby paints and Estees Rockets. Since I am a Go-Ped Dealer/ repair facility I have NYSDMV to deal with also. Suprized they haven't found a way to screw my on my Scarab boat yet, It is a polluting 1968 model ... think of all the bad carbon the three 540c.i. Chevys put in the air.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I'm right there with you. I have a ways to go yet and it feels like this country has been on a down hill slide for the past 20 years.

I'm sure it feels like longer for others, but the steady decline has been in fast forward since the early 90's and doesn't seem

to be slowing. Not sure what the answer is. I'd like to keep a positive outlook on the future, but I'll probably be working till

I'm 115............just to keep insurance and have some groceries.

Funny they were talking with a Federal Reserve Person on Radio Free Europe (BBC) and kept asking the FED Wizard how can the U.S. recover when the Government is growing 35 to 40 percent faster the the Economy. The reply was all pointless double talk and smoke and mirrors from the DC Feather Merchant.

P.T.CHESHIRE

Nascar and the NHRA teams that build their cars from scratch are fine, as they were never certified to meet any standards. However, the guy who gets screwed is the little guy who starts with a production car and modifies it to race it. Demolition derbies will be a thing of the past, as will mud races and any other event where "production" vehicles have been altered to make them competition-ready. Personally, the EPA can KMA. I'm going to build whatever I want to build and modify it however I need to in order to make it work for me...because if it doesn't do what I need it do do, there's no point in having it.

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Got the dig loud and clear :)

Here is my bitch. My farm is down from the original 360 acres to 16, I am taxed and regulated in the Township of Riverhead and Suffolk County on water usage, nitrates and dust. My salvage business is regulated on Ground Water Pollution, soil pollution, Lead, oil anti freeze, batteries, toxins from burning a unit apart to move it (think pre WWII tin buildings at old ship yard in Green Port) and even old tires. Laundry Mat the Local, the County, state and Federal EPA regulate the extraction of soap, bleaches and lint from the wash water. Even heat exhaust from drier stacks. State and Federal Tax men require that my total income matches up to supplies and services sold material invoices and total water usage. Hobby shop is regulated on the li ion batteries, Nitro RC fuel, hobby paints and Estees Rockets. Since I am a Go-Ped Dealer/ repair facility I have NYSDMV to deal with also. Suprized they haven't found a way to screw my on my Scarab boat yet, It is a polluting 1968 model ... think of all the bad carbon the three 540c.i. Chevys put in the air.

Yup I couldn't even imagine living in an over regulated crap hole like that. The epa, elf and all the other tree hugging entities have completely ground about any type of work that produces something here in MT such as mining, logging, clean coal burning power plants, oil drilling, gravel pits etc.. So I kind of due under stand your frustration to a much lesser degree but none the less it's hard to watch. Since the 90's Montana has had the great invasion of both coasts and it's funny how logging is ok to clear out THEIR home site but no more. Gravel pits are ok until THEIR cement is mixed and road is graveled but no more after that. I could go on but you get the picture. In the last 30 years those greenies have been able to make the logging business so tough that over 100 mills mom and pops have been closed. If I had chosen to follow my dad's footsteps to be a logger I would be a fourth generation logger but I'm glad it didn't work out now that I see my folks struggle to eek out a living for just a few more years so they can get out of the business and hopefully sell everything and be done.

Nascar and the NHRA teams that build their cars from scratch are fine, as they were never certified to meet any standards. However, the guy who gets screwed is the little guy who starts with a production car and modifies it to race it. Demolition derbies will be a thing of the past, as will mud races and any other event where "production" vehicles have been altered to make them competition-ready. Personally, the EPA can KMA. I'm going to build whatever I want to build and modify it however I need to in order to make it work for me...because if it doesn't do what I need it do do, there's no point in having it.

In the regulations NASCAR Cars and Trucks and NHRA Pro Stocks and Funnycars if the are built to be a specific model year must have the appropriate model year emission controls.

Also goes to cover modified race only production vehicles like Larry Ford Wagon and my Mustang under the enforceable EPA rules

From EPA: Included in a 629-page EPA/NHTSA proposal to regulate CO2 emissions and fuel consumption in medium- and heavy-duty trucks is an EPA ruling that states “Certified motor vehicles and motor vehicle engines and their emission control devices must remain in their model year certified configuration even if they are built as copies of a specific model and year strictly for off highway competition or if they converted and become nonroadable vehicles or engines for use in other venues.”

EPA’s chief concern remains whether vehicles with modified emissions control systems are used on public roads – ignoring the “for off-road use only” warning labels on many aftermarket parts – and whether aftermarket manufacturers are selling such parts for use on public roads or public accessible areas. As stipulated in the regulation, any illegal tampering with emissions control devices – by a parts manufacturer or by a consumer – will result in a $37,500 fine.

The rules are meant to control vehicle emissions and carbon foot print made by being converted into race cars. An interpretation that will severely curtail the $36 billion automotive aftermarket parts industry."

EPA REGULATION PROPOSAL

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2015-07-13/pdf/2015-15500.pdf

P.T.CHESHIRE

"Converted" being the key word. If built from scratch, the vehicle was never certified. If it was a production vehicle that has been certified by the manufacturer, then it cannot be modified.

NASCAR and Funnycars and Pro stocks are going to have to be a whole new design like Indy or Can-Am converted is the proposals second definition. A NASCAR Ford or Chevy isn't a specific model but is is a 201? vehicle with the specific manufacturers name on it. Same as say John Forces funnycar, A Ford by name only but it is still called a Ford.

Bottom line is the EPA intends to hold after market manufacturers responsible for what the end user does with what ever item the purchase. Seem to me their beef is I buy something marked for off road use only and use it on my daily ride and for some reason the visual part of the Smog test picks it up, the manufacturer is some how going to be held accountable for my choice.

No mention of Grandfathering existing vehicles in the 600 + pages I skimmed over.

Truck stuff is interesting, big plans with out much of the technology available to make most of it happen.

But this is the EPA the same agency that fines oil refiners for not using a required additive. . . that does not yet exist!

"emission control devices must remain in their model year certified configuration even if they are built as copies of a specific make and year for off highway competition"

P.T.CHESHIRE

EPA target is defeat devices, not racers

Automotive News / February 15, 2016

Aftermarket parts makers are warned

Alarm bells rang in the auto enthusiast community last week after a trade group warned that the EPA was threatening to ban the type of modified street cars that generations of amateur racers have taken to the track.

Relax, the EPA said. There's no new ban being proposed. Fact is such modifications have always been banned under the Clean Air Act.

So what is going on?

Call it a muddled exchange that nonetheless sheds light on one of the EPA's enforcement priorities in the context of Volkswagen's diesel transgressions. In short, the EPA's concern is not about the emissions of race cars but about keeping all road-going cars free of modifications that would neuter their emissions controls.

Adam Kushner, a partner at the law firm Hogan Lovells and former enforcement official at the EPA, says it should be no surprise these days that regulators are scrutinizing how emissions-control systems are being modified in the new-vehicle and aftermarket sectors.

"The regulated community is going to need to be watchful," said Kushner, who was director of the EPA's Air Enforcement Division from late 2003 to late 2008 and director of its Office of Civil Enforcement from late 2008 to late 2011.

The EPA proposal that sparked last week's controversy seeks to add language to a "prohibited acts" section of existing light-vehicle regulations saying certified motor vehicles and their emissions components "must remain in their certified configuration even if they are used solely for competition or if they become nonroad vehicles or engines."

The EPA's addition was tucked inconspicuously into the agency's 629-page proposal to set 2021-27 medium- and heavy-vehicle greenhouse gas targets. It was published in the Federal Register in July 2015. The EPA is expected to issue its final rule for the big truck standards in July and is still considering comments from the public.

The disputed language was meant to clarify that a separate exemption for "nonroad" vehicles, such as all-terrain vehicles, snowmobiles and dirt bikes, didn't extend to motor vehicles, according to Laura Allen, the EPA's deputy press secretary.

Yet it was seized on by the Specialty Equipment Market Association, which last week warned that the rule would expose racers and some aftermarket companies that serve them to penalties and reverse decades of agency policy on the issue.

"This is a change of heart in terms of their interpretation of the law," said Steve McDonald, SEMA's vice president of government affairs.

That's not the case, according to the EPA. While the agency has long had a rule on its books against tampering with the emissions controls on light-duty vehicle engines -- that is, prohibiting the very thing that many racers do to extract more power from their track cars -- the rule has never been an enforcement priority. The agency's de facto posture is: Let racers race.

Indeed, despite the many thousands of racers who are technically in violation of the Clean Air Act and have been for years, Allen told Automotive News, the EPA has never taken an emissions-tampering enforcement action against a vehicle owner who "has proven the tampered vehicle was used exclusively for racing."

The agency has, however, gone after some aftermarket companies that sold parts to defeat emissions-control equipment, entering into consent decrees with at least three companies since 2007.

In one case, the EPA and the Department of Justice secured a settlement in 2007 with Casper's Electronics Inc., which sold aftermarket oxygen "simulators." The electronic add-on part could send a false signal to a car's computer that its emissions systems were working properly even if they had been removed or disabled, according to the EPA.

Casper's marked the sensors for "off-road" or "nonroad" use only but designed and marketed them to be used in production cars driven on public streets, according to the EPA.

"The EPA remains primarily concerned with cases where the tampered vehicle is used on public roads, and more specifically with aftermarket manufacturers who sell devices that defeat emission-control systems on vehicles used on public roads," Allen said.

Kushner said that has long been a concern within the halls of the EPA's air quality division.

Now it's getting a closer look because of Volkswagen.

"EPA's enforcement occurs in waves," Kushner said. "The times dictate what wave you're going to ride. Right now, we're on the defeat-device tampering wave."

Agony of defeat devices

Since 2007, the EPA has brought 3 enforcement cases against automotive aftermarket companies for selling "defeat devices" — defined as parts or services that illegally tamper with emissions systems on road-going vehicles. The fines reflected reductions based on the companies' ability to pay.

• Casper's Electronics Inc., 2007: A consent agreement with the EPA and Department of Justice ordered the company to pay $80,000 for selling some 44,000 plug-in oxygen "simulators" that could send a false signal to the vehicle's computer that its emissions controls were functioning properly even if they had been disabled or removed. Casper's also was required to recall the product, pay refunds to buyers and destroy its remaining inventory.

• Edge Products, 2013: Company was fined $500,000 for selling electronic products that allowed owners of diesel pickups to operate them without the diesel particulate filter and emit clouds of black exhaust smoke. Edge also had to spend at least $157,600 on projects to mitigate the excess emissions caused by the units.

• H&S Performance, 2015: The truck-tuning company was hit with a $1 million fine for selling thousands of devices for diesel pickups that allowed owners to disable diesel particulate filters and exhaust-gas recirculation systems.