Sign in to follow this  
dexter860

centrimax filters

Just wondering about the centrimax filter on my Mack, how exactly does it work? Are they a good setup? Haven't seen them on other engines, was told they're supposed to remove soot, I also heard gulf coast filters got their idea from Mack filters?

Due to the oil pressure spinning the oil the centrifugal force separates the dirt from the oil and it is stuck to the inside of the filter taken out soot that can go thru the full flow.Yes it is a good thing.

Scania has used centrifugal oil filtration for decades. Recall that the Scania-sourced 7.9-liter mid-range engines featured this technology which Mack Trucks later adopted. Spinning at 5000 rpm, the centrifugal oil cleaner removes smaller particles than are trapped by spin-on filters. The ability to scrutinize residue makes the centrifugal cleaner a window to the inside of the engine -- an early warning to excessive engine wear. They can immensely extended engine life.

Did you know that all Scania drive axle carriers (differentials) feature a spin-on oil filter?

The first recollection of centrifugal oil filters used on Macks that I can remember was when Bob Honor was director of maintenance at Matlack.

Ron

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

If I remember correctly, Mack's Centri-Max centrifugal oil filter came out in 1986. We trademarked the name in December 1985.

• Like 1

They pick up the smallest measurement of dirt 1 micron, I to wondered I cut one open and did a little research .

Do you just replace one of the normal oil filters on the side of the motor? I've got 3, but I've heard nothing but good things about these filters so I'd like to try them.

Do you just replace one of the normal oil filters on the side of the motor? I've got 3, but I've heard nothing but good things about these filters so I'd like to try them.

It's a little more involved than that,

It takes a special filter head and you need a way to drain the oil back to the block or oil pan.

Ron

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I believe in the spinner filters big time! On the E6's and up to vmacII I change the spinner every other oil change. On the etech's I change them every oil change because of the higher soot level in the oil.

I cut mine open and it was full of black tar like stuff, kinda smelled like burnt oil, this was my dads old truck , its sit for 6 years since its been in service, and he wasn't great on oil changes. I sold my KW and have got about 4k in parts on this truck so far , almost ready to go, I think...