My Mack fire apparatus photo album

GA_Dave

As best I can piece together from on-line, Turn of River FD in Stamford, CT still owns this 1988 tanker and runs it as Tanker #68 out of their Station 1, or at least that was the case in 2015.

Things have been a bit messy in Turn of River with Stamford trying to consolidate all fire departments, and TOR fighting it in court, but in 2014, an agreement was inked that let TOR maintain all stations and equipment, and I can't find anything newer that contradicts that.  Unfortunately, it appears that their website hasn't been updated in 7-8 years, but there are some pics posted on line last year by some fire buffs, as well as on the TOR Facebook page that seem to clearly imply that it's still in their possession and being used.

As to it being a fire version, since it was a marriage of a chassis and Maxim tank, and this was toward the very end of Mack making its own apparatus, I would guess that this might have been a standard cab/chassis that was shipped to Maxim to have the tank mounted.  It does have a pump though, so it would be interesting to see if Mack mounted the pump, or if that was also done by Maxim.  Since there's a huge Maxim logo on the hood, I'd put my money on all the fire gear/fabrication having been done at the Maxim factory, though.  And it does look like the pump housing is integrated into the tank body.  Interestingly, this was also just before Maxim shut down operations, so it looks like it was one of the last efforts from them....

It would be fun to get the original build sheets and see what Mack actually sold!

It is a nice looking truck, although, as a former driver, I'd have to say that for maximum visibility, a few more strobes would have been desirable at about headlight height, in combination with wig-wags, which we don't know if it has or not.  What they have (at least in this pic) is either very high and obscured by running lights, and very low, at the bottom of the bumper.  Just my picky observation as someone always worried about safety of crews and other drivers on the road.

Stamford isn't all that far from me - maybe on a nice Saturday suitable for a good long Jeep ride with the top down, I'll take a spin out and try to check it out.

Mack Trucks groomed chassis for the Fire Service until 1991, but the Superliner was never one of them.  Those in the Fire Service are simply commercial chassis adapted by whichever company completed the apparatus.

On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 0:24 PM, GA_Dave said:

Mack Trucks groomed chassis for the Fire Service until 1991, but the Superliner was never one of them.  Those in the Fire Service are simply commercial chassis adapted by whichever company completed the apparatus.

I know that they made the B85/95 fire models specific to fire service (red steering wheels and dash, etc.), but did they do the same with the R models, or during that era were they pushing the CF600s as the "specialized" firefighting model, and not spec'ing the Rs the same way they did the Bs for fire service?  Was there an R "fire service" version like there was the B85/95 for that series?

These are two brochures that I have on Mack fire chassis and the "R" model pumper. The chassis brochure covers the "MS", "MC", "R", and "CF" chassis that were available to other fire truck

manufacturers. To quote the brochure, "Mack fire chassis are available as custom-built or commercial. Each and every model has been thoroughly engineered to meet the stringent specifications

of the fire service. What's important to note is that Mack chassis are manufactured to all NFPA requirements as standard, built in features." Also, "Look for the letters "FC" after the model number

in your truck as your assurance of a Mack fire chassis". Hope that this helps.

bulldogboy

mfc.jpg

rpumper.jpg

• Like 1

18 hours ago, bulldogboy said:

These are two brochures that I have on Mack fire chassis and the "R" model pumper. The chassis brochure covers the "MS", "MC", "R", and "CF" chassis that were available to other fire truck

manufacturers. To quote the brochure, "Mack fire chassis are available as custom-built or commercial. Each and every model has been thoroughly engineered to meet the stringent specifications

of the fire service. What's important to note is that Mack chassis are manufactured to all NFPA requirements as standard, built in features." Also, "Look for the letters "FC" after the model number

in your truck as your assurance of a Mack fire chassis". Hope that this helps.

bulldogboy

mfc.jpg

rpumper.jpg

Interesting - thanks!