Difference between Mack and Volvo?

Ok since I have bought my Mack, I have a lot of inquisitive people most places I go. I am surprised how many people ask "Is that a Cummins or what kinda motor is in there?" Obviously I reply "no its a Mack motor", but then feel inclined to say we'll really a Volvo motor with some Mack finishing touches. Besides the obvious color difference and valve cover, what else is the difference? Please tell me it's more then that or I might be forced to sell my truck on principle alone. Hahaha. I don't honestly think Volvo makes a bad truck. Just not my taste personally. I thought I read somewhere the ecm on a Mack is 12v and a Volvo is 24? I'm sure Mack has their own software....anything else? Different cam or anything?

• Like 1

They're basically the same. The valve cover, software, name plate and color are different. Block, pistons, cam, rockershaft, head, sensor, egr, cooler, turbo, radiator, all the same. These parts can be taken off one and put on the other. The valve covers look different but have the same bolt pattern. Ive seen a Volvo marked intake on an '07 MP7. I assume the intake was cracked and replaced. It must've been the only intake instock that day and the owner wanted the truck finished NOW.

• Like 2

The MP8 and D13 are identical except for paint, intake manifold logo, and valve cover. I haven't found an engine or m drive tranny part that is not completely interchangeable. Cabs and body are the only real difference. Mack does still hold a higher trade value over the volvo. And mack is just a better looking truck. So for this discussion " looks are everything" and "looks are the only thing"

• Like 1

Biggest difference is the image!

The Boss Dawg

post-3242-0-38627900-1445902071_thumb.jp

Or the Volvo Penguin?

post-3242-0-62909100-1445902111.png

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I was wondering if Volvo was going to start offering Macks axles. Especially now that they are building them in house again in Hagerstown. Just seems like the next logical step to help with a lower demand for those axles over the last 15 years.

I also see by the specs the MP makes a few more horsepower and torque the the Volvo equivalent.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE