Anyone alter springs to soften ride.

Coenut

I was wondering if anyone on here has altered the rear springs to improve the ride of the truck. It's a single axle. I have considered cutting an inch or 2 off the ends of each spring and Possibly removing the 3rd and 5th leaf. I still run bias ply tires. An air ride swap is also doable, however I would like to keep the rear in the truck. Any thoughts?

Depends on the budget. Air ride conversion would be a fair bit. Removing the some leafs would work. Maybe ask someone smarter than me which ones to take out. Cutting springs shorter would make it stiffer wouldn't it?

Also look into parabolic/tapered leaf springs as another alternative.

Freightrain Larry did this years ago to his B. pulled all the leafs I think except the main ones and used a spacer block to take up the slack. I don't know if id do it with 40 year old springs tho and just use the mains. two fresh main leafs and I don't think there would be a problem. I have thought of doin this before and then putting on a set of helper springs with the pads set a little higher so if you wanna pull a little weight at least you could

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

Yup, I had all but 3 top leafs cut to make just spacers. They were all original leafs. I'll say that you likely won't notice a difference just bobtailing. Still won't be enough weight on it to make them move. Only after I put my trailer on it(3K lbs on the pin) did it actually make the springs move. It rode fairly nice with the trailer on.

Jul05_0007.jpg

Only after about 10 yrs did I finally break a leaf(55yr old springs weren't meant to move that much). I then had new top ones made and then just a couple years later I put air ride on it.

I did this modification after meeting a fellow with a B model and did the same with, only with new leafs to begin with. He pulled a 5er camper with it so he needed to soften it up as to not break the camper into pieces. I was in the same boat at the time with my race trailer.

After I stretched the truck and put air ride on it, I found that even bobtailing it still isn't that great with air ride. Only with the trailer does it soften it down and ride nice. The biggest difference in ride came from the addition of 5ft to the wheelbase. It took the "buck" out of the ride.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

If it's just a hobby truck that doesn't really ever haul anything, this may not apply. That being said, my truck's ride improved when I upped the spring rate from 12K to 16K on the front. Used to bottom out and slam the bump stops when I was loaded and hit a dip in the road...now the springs do their job and the bumps don't hurt anymore. Funny thing is, everybody told me the ride would suck with the heavier springs...but not hitting the bump stops anymore is a whole lot better.

• Like 2
When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!