6.6 or 7.8 ford truck engines

joes mack

we are looking at a 1987 L8000 truck with a 6.6 or 7.8 engine and a eaton fuller 10 speed trans to make a water tanker out of for our fire department are these good engines? I have never been around one and don't know anything about them. thanks joe

The 7.8 at 240 HP was a very popular engine in LN-8000's in home heat service. 33,000 lb GVW "tax cheater" 2800 gals of no 2 heat. some outfits also used 3000 gal tanks so that put them closer to 35,000 lbs.

This engine was an Ag engine so very durable block. Only reason I believe it went away in favor of the Cummins 8.3 was it would have been too costly for Ford to "clean up". Goes back to the day when Ford and International slugged it out for class 7 sales crown.

They are a good engine, I have two of them. They are a little heavy for the HP they produce. They will get you there but if it is a race you may not win. Both of my engines are the 210 HP spec.

You really need to read the tags on the engine.

They were available up to 285 HP in the LN series.

When I worked on school busses back in the the day I always liked the Ford engine better than the Cummins or the Cat 3116. These engine were much more peppy than the others. You can do some pump work to the and really make the turbocharger sing. We had one driver I turned the pump up on that the old school bus would fly, well for a school bus. He told me it was to doggie going up hills in the country loaded. Next time I seen him he was gripping about having to clean off the soot the tail lights.

• Like 1
15 gears...no waiting!

If we get it it will be hauling 2,000 gallons of water. the roads here are curvy and very few straits long enough to get much speed our other tanker which is a 84 L 8000 has the 2308 cat with a 5 speed in it with 2 speed rear and it hauls 2,000 gallons and it does good not the fastest truck on the road but plenty fast enough with that much water. we are also looking and I personally hope we get the other truck I found out about today it is a cf 600 that a local fire dept has that the pump froze and busted when their roof collapsed with the heavy snow we had.in February they have combined with another department and no longer run the truck. if we can get the cf we will take the body and tank off and if the pump is fixable will have it welded and put the 2,000 gallon stainless steel tank on it.

If we get it it will be hauling 2,000 gallons of water. the roads here are curvy and very few straits long enough to get much speed our other tanker which is a 84 L 8000 has the 2308 cat with a 5 speed in it with 2 speed rear and it hauls 2,000 gallons and it does good not the fastest truck on the road but plenty fast enough with that much water. we are also looking and I personally hope we get the other truck I found out about today it is a cf 600 that a local fire dept has that the pump froze and busted when their roof collapsed with the heavy snow we had.in February they have combined with another department and no longer run the truck. if we can get the cf we will take the body and tank off and if the pump is fixable will have it welded and put the 2,000 gallon stainless steel tank on it.

HMNN- Liquid load and winding roads- don't think you should HAVE too much speed. Better to get to the scene than end up in a ditch.

Want a super clean C-8000 E-One pumper? Buddy of mine has one for sale- first line truck for a lot of departments I'm sure-but around here where big tax dollars rule?-Nah -not good enough- "we need a new $400,000 piece-the taxpayers can afford it"!

When I worked on school busses back in the the day I always liked the Ford engine better than the Cummins or the Cat 3116. These engine were much more peppy than the others. You can do some pump work to the and really make the turbocharger sing. We had one driver I turned the pump up on that the old school bus would fly, well for a school bus. He told me it was to doggie going up hills in the country loaded. Next time I seen him he was gripping about having to clean off the soot the tail lights.

What did you do to the pumps?

My get a little slow climbing the hills and mountain passes on the freeways here in Southern California. Both of mine have Allison's in them which is probably part of the issue and they are better when I manually shift the allison.