1959 B85FSW

41chevy

I think(??) that the race riots of the mid / late 60's was the down fall of the open cabs. TOO MUCH $H*T thrown on the drivers enroute to an event!!!!

In the 1970's when the Bronx was being burned down (close to 97% of the buildings!) FDNY put "J.Bunny" roofs on to protect the crews form stuff being tossed of the buildings at the trucks and crews.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

The open cab R is a one of.

As Paul said the open cabs were living proof that the fire service's outlook was "a hundred years of tradition unbridled by progress." When motorized apparatus came on the scene they were open cab and since most departments were tradition bound they stayed that way.

The MLK riots pretty much changed that with the appearance of many home made plywood roofs to protect the members from flying objects. We are slow learners, but several smacks to the head with a brick seemed to do the trick.

• Like 1

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Wow to those last four posts it just goes to show we have no idea what goes on around the world then or now :blink::blink::blink:

Paul

Small 4 block area, almost the entire area looked like Berlin after WWII.

post-3242-0-52548200-1425141872_thumb.jp

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I used to ride with Bn 18 out of E-45's quarters on E.Tremont Ave in the Bronx in the early 80's, at just about the end of the "war years" for the lads in the S. Bronx. I remember the chief taking us to a place where all you could see for block after block was burned out 4 story apartment buildings. He turned to us and said "We didn't burn these out a building at a time, we burned them a room at a time."

• Like 1

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

hmmm this has left me scratching my head Im even more puzzled will require some investagation on google

Paul

If you can find it in OZ this tells it pretty much as it was. Paul

post-3242-0-28760400-1425158959_thumb.jp

P.T.CHESHIRE

Makes no sense to me either.

P.T.CHESHIRE

Paul Thank you very much for the time & effort to get the members the information on the B Tandem fire apparatus. What a serious mistake in destroying such a piece of history. You sir are a rare fire buff. Charlie Dever

4th generation.

P.T.CHESHIRE