E6 Clatter noise at Idle

frantzevan

There's a popping noise at idle. Sounds as if there is something metal bouncing around inside the motor. It has been doing this for months now. After you idle it up a few hundred RPMS the clatter goes away. The truck is used as a site truck and rarely sees full temp or full boost. The motor and pump are fresh (less than 3 years). It's an EM6 285 turned up 20%. Runs strong outside of the idling issue.

Timing could be off too I had a military blazer with a 6.5 diesel in it that clattered so loud when you had the hood open you couldn't stand close to it or your ears would hurt turned out the timing was a bit off got the timing right and the extra noise went away.

American bosch is the AMBAC pump. The bushings in the roller lifters in the injection pump tend to fail on these pumps. You can hear a noise at idle sometimes but once your in the throttle you never notice it. Its pretty simple to take the side cover off the pump and check for debris. Nothing scary in there that's going to fall apart when you pull the cover off so don't worry.

I probably should have mentioned that this noise started shortly after switching to synthetic motor oil. Amsoil to be exact. I've had the oil in for 9 months now and I was down to the add mark on the fill stick. I didn't have any extra Amsoil and didn't want to pay the shipping on 1 gallon. So I grabbed a jug of rotella T-6 to stay with a synthetic blend. After adding the rotella the truck made the clanking noise upon start up but shortly after the noise disappeared. I heard it briefly at really low RPMS but for the most part has disappeared. Obviously I will be switching oil brands on my next change but I'm still curious as to why the Amsoil created this noise.