Oliver HG42 - Charging 8 volt battery

markpwhit

Looking for some help. Just acquired a 1942 Oliver HG42 crawler and drained the battery trying to get it started. I know the tractor is a 6 volt system - but the battery that came with it (brand new) is an 8 volt.

How do you go about safely charging a 8 volt. My charger is rated for either 6 or 12. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Based on my little knowledge of 8V batteries....my thought is you need an 8V charger. The 12V will overcharge and the 6V will undercharge. I have no experience with 8V batteries. Do you have a 6V battery that you can install?

Disclaimer...you can try using the 6V setting but be VERY VERY careful.

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

Use a volt meter to check what the actual output of your charger is. Mine on 6 high will charge an 8 just fine. As long as it puts out more than 8v but less than 10 i would use it. I watched guys at a truck auction jump start with 24v because it starts em faster( i think man i don't know what them computers can handle but i would not want to find out). Anyway, i wonder if your voltage regulator is adjusted for six or eight. Perhaps you could rig up something to spin your generator if you don't wish to use your charger.

I use a 12 volt battery in my HG 68 and it is supposed to have a 6 volt. It spins the starter a lot faster. It doesn't have any light bulbs to worry about so no big deal. My father had me get an 8 volt battery for my 1953 Chevy 4100, but I didn't use it much and it died. I charged it with a 6 volt charger with no trouble before its eventual death. If you look at the voltimeter on a 12 volt truck when the battery is charging it will often be at 13 or 14. My father's Brockway 758 won't start unless it says at least 13 volts. 12 won't do it. I have always been told not to jump a 6 volt vehicle with a 12 volt because it will mess up the 12 volt. I do not know why though. I have never tried it. Mike

I have had an 8 volt battery in my wd45 for at least 20 years. I just recently got an 8 volt charger (antique). Before that, I used a 12 volt charger on low for an hour, then would let it rest for a couple of hours, and repeat. This is how the guy at the battery factory told me how to do it. Always worked fine and never fried a battery.

• Like 1

I think as long as you keep an eye on it or more to the point an ear or a hand if you can here the battery bubbling you over charging if it gets hot to touch like just over body temp I reckon it would be getting to hot and if any of these happen disconnect for an hour or so thats my thoughts anyway

Paul

I have never seen a 8 Volt battery might be why all yanky stuff was such bad starters back in the day as we only ever put six volt batteries in them :idunno:

I run an 8 volt battery in both my '47 Ferguson and my '41 Chevy with no changes to the 6 volt charging system. An 8 volt will charge with a 6 volt charger, it was told to me by a generator / starter rebuilder the it is the amps not the volts that matter. As for jumping with a 12 volt it could hurt the 12. 6 volts have a higher ampere draw, hence the larger gauge cables and wiring. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE