MH Headlight Wiring Harness

Leversole and I were reviewing the wiring skizmatic for my MH at Gerhart's (while watching the wimmin trucks drive in). The RH headlamp wiring harness has a connector on the end opposite the headlamps.

Previously I traced the harness and it goes into the cab floor on the right front of the dog house. I pulled the passenger kick panel and did not see anything. I did not tilt the cab to investigate further.

Does anyone know if the connector is accessed thru the inside or outside? If on the inside, where and how?

I consulted the all-powerful and all-knowing 39BabyMack and he showed a "nobody home" look. :whistling:

If I can get to the connector perhaps I can splice the wires and seal with heat shrink. Barry located two (2) NOS harnesses that I am going to purchase for my inventory (and maybe mouse insurance).

Thanks for any help on this issue.

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

Ken,

Yesterday when we were talking I said something about the connector/junction block located on the R.H. side of the dog box(on the outside).

Because yours is a'92 with VMAC it would have that connector/junction block.

The more I think about it I think this is only for the VMAC ECM and Bosch fuel control modules.

I can't remember for sure, but I think if you pull the floor mat you'll see screws holding the dog house padded cover to the floor.

If you remove these screws and look in the corner where the dog house meets the front of the cab I think you'll see where the wires come into the cab.

This is only a suggestion (it's been a long time)

I've been behind the that padded cover on the older ones before (that's where the wires for the heater/AC unit run) and I think that's where your headlight wires run too.

Your truck is going to be a little crowded down where the kick panel and floor mat meet the front of the truck because this is where the control modules are located.

Hope this helps.

Ron

• Like 1

Very Interesting that the mice damaged the lighting harness, so you can't drive their home around . . .

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Very Interesting that the mice damaged the lighting harness, so you can't drive their home around . . .

Paul,

I find it hard to believe the wires "just broke". Seems strange that two (2) of them are chewed off. I remember someone mentioned earilier about entrance into the cab on the right side. I am reluctant to drive it any distance for fear I might get stopped by the DOT. I want to try and locate the connector before I put it in winter storage. BTW, thanks Ron...I knew you might know where the wiring connector is located.

Today I started to remove all the stuff from the side compartments putting it into plastic tubs and bags. No evidence of mice but the damage has been done. I will be restocking the cab with moth balls, cab fresh, sticky traps, spring traps, and mouse bait. The MH goes into storage later this month.

Changed the oil/filter in the 98 GTP and put it in storage (restocked with moth balls and cab fresh). No problems previously (except nest in air filter box) but I am not taking a chance.

Ken

Ken, your Ninja mice ate the wiring so you wouldn't move their "home". For some reason rodents seem to love to chew up electrical wires,. Squirrels chewed the wires to my circuit breaker box in my barn, how they didn't ''light up" is beyond me.

Seriously, a mouse can enter through any hole that is Dime sized or larger. I learned this with a used gun safe that I bought that had a 1/2 inch hole bored into it's lower corner for a BX electric cable. Putting the safe in a shed temporarily I had mice move into it. They fit through that 1/2 inch hole! Sealed up the hole and set off a small halon fire suppression cylinder that killed the mice living in the safe. Point is it only takes a Dime sized hole for the little critters to enter Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Took some pics of the evidence. The first is the chewed wires, second is location into the cab, and third is a closeup of the entrance. Stuck my finger in the grommet and I can feel the connector. Don't have time today but tomorrow I will tilt the cab and try to fish the harness/connector thru the grommet.

post-3289-0-54777500-1412704980_thumb.jp

post-3289-0-04884400-1412705012_thumb.jp

post-3289-0-20699300-1412705037_thumb.jp

Ken

Probably their point of entry. Paul

P.T.CHESHIRE

Upon further review....here is what I found this morning. There is no connector. The connector is on the headlamp side. These wires in the image are part of the main wiring harness. The windshield washer is part of this wire group. And BTW, the grommet has a hole (normally) that you could "drive a Mack truck thru". Why did the #$%#$#%#%$ mouse have to chew the wires? Hopefully I can get the wires identified and repaired without "losing my religion". When (if) I get done I am going to stuff steel wool (do they make aluminum or stainless wool?) in the hole.

post-3289-0-26466100-1412774160_thumb.jp

Ken

Damage repaired...butt connectors with heat shrink. Spliced in about 6" of 14 gauge wire to make easy access. Little varmints chewed the washer wire too so I repaired it. Now all I need to do is put conduit around the outside wires and plug the hole into the floor. I think the little F----rs are gone but I want to make sure they don't come back. Again some type of wool (steel, aluminum, or stainless) to plug the hole.

post-3289-0-46752100-1412779759_thumb.jp

post-3289-0-36888500-1412779785_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Ken

Pump the hole full of Silicon Bath Tub Sealer Critters hate it.

What kind of White trash do you grow on your farm? I grow Mopar Rust and MACK Mud. Paul

• Like 1

P.T.CHESHIRE

Pump the hole full of Silicon Bath Tub Sealer Critters hate it.

What kind of White trash do you grow on your farm? I grow Mopar Rust and MACK Mud. Paul

Paul,

Better idear than wool. I have some sealer and will use it there.

Mostly mice, ground hogs, skunks, and other varmints. Have a few Deeres, Cockshutts, and Allis just sitting around. On a quiet night you can hear them rust. BTW, a skunk went to "skunk heaven" last night about 9pm. They just can't take a "gentle" nudge from a 12gauge. :whistling:

• Like 1

Ken