Steel Nose "r" Model

Was there a long hood 700 series version of the steel nose trucks produced? I've never seen one myself. I've seen a DM800 series, but it had an offset cab.

Thanks,

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

There is a steel hooded R for sale locally I saw the other day. Big dump on it, can't recall if offset cab or not? Seems it had a big front overhang, not familiar enough to know what model it is.

I was going to try to post a pic, but won't be around to take pic for a couple days.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

As far as I know there was not a long nose version of a hard nose R, (flintstone version to our freinds abroad). The hard nose R was a 600 series, standard length hood. An RM is a setback R that has a longer hood. These were mainly for snowplow use in the northeast and oilfield use in the south, west and abroad.

It would be cool to put one together though, hoods and filler panels would have to be fabricated but it would be pretty neat.

Wayne Hetrick from southeastern PA had a really nice hardnose R painted red & black, it has since been sold.

Interested in Old Trucks? Check out:

www.antiquetruckclubofamerica.org

All the dm's have the offset cab, the dm-800 has the long hood and the dm-600 has the short hood, the 800 has a set back axle,the frame on the dm-600 has the so called fish belly frame. The steel nose r's as far as I know are all normal lenth hoods,and the cabs are centered on the frame.Hope this helps!

A guy calls the other day offering to sell me a steel nose R686 for salvage price. The engine is blown, (EM6-300), air shift six speed that was rebuilt less than six months ago. The sheet metal is worth working with. I was surprised the cab was as useable as it was. It did look like I could split the hood, and fenders and add a few inches to them without much effort to install onto my R795. The truck has always been a roll off and was replaced with a new Freightliner using the existing hoist apparatus.

I think a long, steel hood truck would be unique. I really don't need another truck, but never had one like this, so it is in the thought process.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

• 4 months later...
A guy calls the other day offering to sell me a steel nose R686 for salvage price. The engine is blown, (EM6-300), air shift six speed that was rebuilt less than six months ago. The sheet metal is worth working with. I was surprised the cab was as useable as it was. It did look like I could split the hood, and fenders and add a few inches to them without much effort to install onto my R795. The truck has always been a roll off and was replaced with a new Freightliner using the existing hoist apparatus.

I think a long, steel hood truck would be unique. I really don't need another truck, but never had one like this, so it is in the thought process.

Rob

I have seen one of those steel front R-models. It looked just like the DM-600 steel front only longer and it wasnt offset.It pulled a coal bucket.

I have seen one of those steel front R-models. It looked just like the DM-600 steel front only longer and it wasnt offset.It pulled a coal bucket.
I myself saw a truck like that and ndont know if set back or not and it had a oil feild bed on it but only seen it in a add and it was at Enid OKLa. It may have been home made but i thought i saw some in the truck trader one time and i may be wrong also. I also though that the Tulsa dealer years ago sold some to Williams Bros oil that was what i called a RM but they may have been short hood. I know some one that whats one if he can find one. glenn

glenn akers

I did not purchase the truck. The owner decided to put a "garbage packer" body onto the chassis. So far nothing has been done and it just sits.

Rob

• 4 months later...
Check out my gallery for pictures of my steel nose R. 35 years old and still working on a daily basis!
I wish that was my truck and you had a feather stuck in you Zxcd. Do you want to tell me were you keep it and if there is any one arond at nights and do you have a dog. I have always wanted one of them. I worked on one back years ago and always said i would look good in one. glenn

glenn akers

I wish that was my truck and you had a feather stuck in you Zxcd. Do you want to tell me were you keep it and if there is any one arond at nights and do you have a dog. I have always wanted one of them. I worked on one back years ago and always said i would look good in one. glenn

I need the same information as Glenn but in the game of one upmanship, I'll give you two feathers.

Rob

That is a class act of a truck. Good job. Now don't get my juices flowing cause I'll have to build one of those, and I don't need no more trucks! Momma would kill me for good as I'm on the "brink" right now.

• 1 month later...