College degree online?

1958 F.W.D.

Has anyone here ever obtained an associates or bachelors degree online? What was your experience like? What is your degree for? Anything you would do differently?

Am I insane for considering trying to get a degree in Disaster/Emergency Management at the age of 40, with three kids (well, four in another month or so......) I have never gone to college in my life and was not the greatest student in high school. But I have always done well in topics that interested me. Yes I know there are a lot of prerequisites and elective classes I will have to take, that's absolutely in the decision making process. Right now I am just pondering. I also would need to line up the money.....cash or grants or .....shit.....loans.......But I think this is something that I really want to do- to better myself mentally and professionally....it's also a pathway to more coin in my pocket.

Chime in, want to hear your thoughts. Thank you Lads.

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

I worked 38+ years in the paper industry. They had a program which paid for college courses which you passed. I encouraged a young man about 35 years old to get a degree on line. Shortly after he graduated he was promoted to a better job and since has had a couple of promotions. At first he had some reservations as he said " I was not the best student in high school ". It was tough working full time and studying but he stuck it out. If you want to do it you should. If you are interested in the subject if will be fun at times. GO FOR IT.

Yardo

if you are any thing like me I was almost failing high school until I rebuilt a eng. for the principal and another for the athletic administrator that got me out of h.s. then on to trade school, no problems its amazing what you learn when its something you want to learn. As for college I spent 2 yr. in the class /shop and thought it was great, the on line advantage I think would be is you can skip the dumbasses that plagued the classrooms :tease:

I went the community college route and then went on to University of Maryland's University College. On-line learning is great as long as you are disciplined. The average undergrad class required at least three papers per term as well as mid-term and final exams. I actually thought that the classes I took in a traditional format were less demanding.

The first thing to do is to figure out where you want to get your 4 year degree from. You can then work out what credits they will take from a community college, outside sources such as the NFA, and "life experience". Don't just take CC courses and expect them to transfer as they may not.

Given the time constraints of a young family and a full time job I would try a regular community college format first since it forces you to take the time to attend. I know that sounds backwards since on-line offers more flexibility, but that can easily let you fall behind because of everyday life's problems.

Another issue is cost. UMUC's tuition was outrageous in the end; well over $2000.00 per class plus books. CC is usually far less.

Check out the IAFF site for the colleges that they have established on-line programs with.

You can do it if you want to. At one time I took 20 hours per term, worked a part time job and spent 56 hours a week at the fire house. The wife and kids didn't know me and the dog growled every time I came in the house, but it was worth it. Feel free to call me if I can help.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Do it!

I have no recommendation as to online education with regards to do's and don'ts. Did four years on the rock for my piece of wallpaper. All education is valuable and if the subject matter is of high interest to you, that's just icing on the cake.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

Until you get into it find a local school that offers both so you can get support until you get the hang of it.

For myself, I am an Adjunct Professor (which really means part time or when they need me to sub, depends on the what is being offered) with a local college.

I also take classes from Columbia College http://www.ccis.edu/ very in expensive and really like them but enrolled for the degree portion at Excelsior College http://www.excelsior.edu/. More expensive, but that's is where my degree is from originally years ago when it was Regents. So like what was said before they accepted all of my credits so I did not have to take any classes over. Columbia College said I would have to about 45 semester hours and Excelsior was 30.

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."