How are the MP8 motors?

What major problems are there with the new MP8 motors with DEF?

Any ideas of what the best HP would be for good pulling power on hills and good fuel mileage?

Gonna get the Allison auto and half the year pulling a shorty dump at 73,280 and the other half pulling a tank or a long dump at 80,000.

I'm a tech for a oil field fleet, of water haulers. We have about 10 mo8 engines and they have all been great. One set of cups went bad on a 2011 (that truck was rolled has been problems ever seance) other then that the MPs have been awesome. sensor failed here and there and a couple def pumps.

• Like 2

Under Dog, what was your motor originally set at and how did you set it to 450? I was thinking about the 445 cause I don't think you can get the Allison with the 505. I know some guys that have the Allison and love them. I do a lot of stop and go in traffic for half the year and think the Allison would be great. The auto shift doesn't work good for the construction stuff I do. That's why they don't offer the M Drive in the Granite.

Nothing inherit that are problems. Some things here and there and truely overal are good. The cups problems have been fixed for the most part with the brand new ones. There have been a couple updates even after the stainless cups came out si if ut has the latest dobe it should br good. Trust me keep it at dealer and it will save u time and money no offense to anyone but chasing codes without the proper info leads to problems. Seen lots of money or parts thrown at stuff when it just needs programmed.

• Like 1

Nothing inherit that are problems. Some things here and there and truely overal are good. The cups problems have been fixed for the most part with the brand new ones. There have been a couple updates even after the stainless cups came out si if ut has the latest dobe it should br good. Trust me keep it at dealer and it will save u time and money no offense to anyone but chasing codes without the proper info leads to problems. Seen lots of money or parts thrown at stuff when it just needs programmed.

• 2 weeks later...

Under Dog, what was your motor originally set at and how did you set it to 450? I was thinking about the 445 cause I don't think you can get the Allison with the 505. I know some guys that have the Allison and love them. I do a lot of stop and go in traffic for half the year and think the Allison would be great. The auto shift doesn't work good for the construction stuff I do. That's why they don't offer the M Drive in the Granite.

Sorry about not getting back sooner. Had couple hot loads then finally some home time. I dont have the allison. The trans is the m drive. A 13 speed with clutch all electronic over air controlled. Yes it was a 550hp was just to much power. Took in to shop in Flagstaff has a wiz mack man there. He use to do double and triple frame conversions. He played with it for two weeks. Unreal how it runs. He told me if you live in an area you can get away removing all the emissions crap and retune the engine he says it will turn into a beast and hold together. Ive run alot of different trks over the years for people. These new macks are holding together and making money. What more can a person ask for?

• 5 years later...
On 5/10/2014 at 7:23 PM, j_martell said:

There are shops (in Canada at least) that do deletes, but buyer beware.......

You got that right. I have a LOT of friends that got their deletes and programs from that biggest, most famous delete outfit that does all the advertising. And they ALL blew up.

• 1 month later...

these motors are great once they are deleted.
their biggest issues is the emission system which almost led my company to bankruptcy. it was terrible. one day it is the doser, the other day it is the sensor...
when i did the delete i started breathing again, i can't thank the guy enough.
be aware there are plenty of them claiming they can do them, but not a lot of can do them right.
the only once that i know who do them right, are the same guys that did my entire fleet. 
i run these deletes for years now, and never had a single issue.
i personally vouch for them. it is https://truckecmtunes.com/