downshifting

tanbuddy

Ive only been driving full time for a few months, and wanted to see what other guys are doing coming to stops tolls ect.

truck is a 10 speed.

If traffic is light, Ill brake easily and go from 10-9-8-7-maybe 6th around 1200 or 1000 rpm. When the truck is at about an idle in 7th or 6th (about10 mph) I put it in N and bake the last few mph. The only time i range downshift is if Im down a hill with a stop at the bottom.

If i have a hard stop like a light suddenly changes or someone pulls out infront of me, i brake hard and dont worry about downshifting, when the engine gets to an idle i put it in N. I find a gear after im stopped or back away from the car that pulled in front of me

What does everyone else do in situations like these?

79 U

237 5 sp

My dad gave me 2 excellent pieces of advice when I was just learning to drive a truck.

1. Stay ahead of the truck, and...

2. Keep it in a gear where it can get out of its own way.

It was amazing how few times you had to brake hard if you followed those 2 suggestions.

His point was to be aware of what was going to happen, and get the truck into the appropriate gear, before it became an issue. He used very little brake.

But, I'm sure you'll get as many points of view as there are drivers.

• Like 2

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

I like to work down into low range before stopping b/c I KNOW the range has shifted then. I drive more 9spd than 10 and with the short gate from low to hi it's easy to beat the range shift and end up with nothing. Also, the more time in gear, the more control you have.

• Like 2

They say the truck should not be out of gear longer then its own length. I try to but with three sticks it isn't always doable(or worth the work to get there).

Looking far enough ahead is the key. Beyond unforeseeable circumstances.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

only if I get caught by a sudden red light do I push in the clutch and pull it out of gear. Reason is the speed is dropping so fast that 1) no use to find a lower gear as your about to come to a full stop. 2) if you don't get it out of gear you will stall the engine out.

If someone cuts me off like an asshole....... I push them thru the intersection and keep going.....I don't have time for games

• Like 2

What I find handy is leaving it in gear until you have come to a stop... obviously pushing in the clutch :)

Doing this means that everything in the box has stopped spinning, so you won't have to grind it into the gear you'll take off in.

well I have been waiting for all sorts of advice but not much has happened so heres what I do

roadranger I just change down through high range using engine brake if any fitted and leave it in high range until stopped just push the clutch in near the end

the Mack 12 speed I just leave it in high split or low split and change down with engine brake working dynatard not that it does much if it is a heavy load ie over 60 ton I would split each down to 3 rd and then change down full gears

was told once it is cheaper to wear out brakes than rebuild gearboxs but it all depends how fast your trying to slow down if some clown has cut in front well there mighten be much time for this fancey down shifting I guess what Im trying to say is each time you stop it is completley different

Paul

• Like 1

I will engine brake as far as I can.....and I always try to catch first or low before I stop moving....unplanned stops, engine bake and service brakes until I have to stop. I do my very best to leave enough room to stop without using service brakes,but some of the highways around here, as fast as you can leave room, some idiot fills it in. In that case, if I'm in high range, clutch in and brake, flipping to low a little bit before I stop, so the syncros can do their thing, if in low, clutch in and brakes. A few time I've flipped to low while sitting still and when I go for first, it thunks like I buggered a shift. If I get into low and look for first (or low) while I'm still kinda rolling, it goes in smooth.

Should have mentioned both our trucks have the eaton fuller 8LL

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part....

What I find handy is leaving it in gear until you have come to a stop... obviously pushing in the clutch :)

Doing this means that everything in the box has stopped spinning, so you won't have to grind it into the gear you'll take off in.

Grind it into gear? get a new clutch brake or get it adjusted properly.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

I down shift in the top 3, then skip shift down into lkow range, then make sure I put it into first or low bwfore I stop so I dont have to beat on my clutch brake. It definitely takes time to learn but the biggest thing to remember is, there are no points for stopping in a shorter distance ITS NOT A RACE, slow down early when you can, try to look way ahead and anticipate chan ges in traffic flow, leave yourself an out and you will rarely have to stop fast.

• Like 1

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Grind it into gear? get a new clutch brake or get it adjusted properly.

Totally agree with that... just seems that you see some guys grind, or maybe crunch is a better word... it into gear.

Pulling it into neutral once stopped also saves wear on the clutch brake as it doesn't have to stop the spinning clutch.

• Like 1

Pulling it into neutral once stopped also saves wear on the clutch brake as it doesn't have to stop the spinning clutch.

Uh, actually if you leave it in gear and hold the clutch pedal up off the floor(off the brake) then you don't have to push the clutch to get it into gear when you move again, thus no use or wear of the clutch brake.

Uh, actually if you leave it in gear and hold the clutch pedal up off the floor(off the brake) then you don't have to push the clutch to get it into gear when you move again, thus no use or wear of the clutch brake.

Yes... that's pretty much what I was meaning.... :)

Edited by Shane