Long Eared Pointy Tail Dog Questions

hello distant family,

My wife got me a gold dog (Design Patent 87931) From one of her many yard sales.

I have seen many chrome and only a few gold dogs on E-bay.

The one I have has the driver side eye that sits lower on the head and a casting mark on the chin

What years chrome?

What years gold?

What was before this design?

Any info on dogs would be interesting.

Thanks again, Jim

gallery_133_137_10125.jpg

Thanks for hearing me out.

You can have the soap box now---------JIM

The gold Bulldogs first appeared in 1966 on all Maxidyne powered trucks.Maxidyne engines were painted gold.In '79 EPA issues forced Mack to quit using the gold paint.The Bulldogs remained gold until early '81,when they returned to chrome.About the same time,the ears and tail were bobbed because someone caught their ring on the dogs ear tilting a hood,resulting in a lawsuit.

The gold Bulldog returned on the CL Elite in '93 or so,and then in '95 they started putting the gold dog on all purebred Macks.

Gold dogs meant you had a Maxidyne engine under the hood during the late 60's/70's and early 80,s. Nowadays its the symbol of an all Mack drive line with no third party components.
Yep,the '77 I drove was all Mack and had a gold bulldog,the '79 had a Cummins and Fuller trans. with a chrome bulldog.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

The gold Bulldogs first appeared in 1966 on all Maxidyne powered trucks.Maxidyne engines were painted gold.In '79 EPA issues forced Mack to quit using the gold paint.The Bulldogs remained gold until early '81,when they returned to chrome.About the same time,the ears and tail were bobbed because someone caught their ring on the dogs ear tilting a hood,resulting in a lawsuit.

The gold Bulldog returned on the CL Elite in '93 or so,and then in '95 they started putting the gold dog on all purebred Macks.

some people seem to live looking to sue somebody for something to "get rich quick",whether it's for the coffee being too hot or the bulldog's ears being too long. Nobody is responsible for their own actions.

hmmm...my hood don't tilt,but I could claim I was drunk and high on crack and tripped and when I tried to break my fall I grabbed for the hood of the mixer and caught my ring on the dog's ears and pulled my finger off,and sue the ring maker, the liquor distiller, the crack dealer,and bulldogs with ears that are too long.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Gold dogs meant you had a Maxidyne engine under the hood during the late 60's/70's and early 80,s. Nowadays its the symbol of an all Mack drive line with no third party components.

So thats why all the new trucks now have chrome dogs (A full Mack drive line dose not exist anymore, :lol: )

OK 1966 to 1981 on gold.

are the chrome dogs the same from day one up till 81 ?

• 3 months later...
My LJ has lost its Dog and from what I can tell the proper one stands only on its hind legs. Any other clues how to Identy the right one?

All of the Bulldogs up until 2001 stood up on their hind legs - they were proud.

Since 2001 (the V*lvo takeover), well, their new foreign master abused them, so now the Bulldog is cowering, wondering when he'll be "put to sleep".

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"