Some E-9 Questions

Hey Guys

I finally aquired a bulldog with an E9. Im gonna use it for extra cariculare activity(mostly abuse). How many Rpm's will this thing turn with a stock set of heads? How often should i chek those buttress screws (bolts in the lower side of the block to hold the mains)? Ill post some pics when I get it home Saturday! thanks ~Joe :chili:

Hey Guys

I finally aquired a bulldog with an E9. Im gonna use it for extra cariculare activity(mostly abuse). How many Rpm's will this thing turn with a stock set of heads? How often should i chek those buttress screws (bolts in the lower side of the block to hold the mains)? Ill post some pics when I get it home Saturday! thanks ~Joe :chili:

Depending on the ponys ! 2000 - 2300 You don't want to mess with too much rpms on that engine the valves will float and you can smash lifters very ,very easy! BE happy with brute low end !Torque gets the load moving Not HP! Increased rpm is mostly hp.not worth a bunch in my mind!

The buttres bolts SHOULD't need to be checked they torque up to 90 lbs and SHOULD stay there.

Well i got it home. Little rougher than i thought, but O well.. It only turns about 2350 It might get a little more. Needs more fuel too. I was gonna chek the torque on the buttress, run it for a while then check them again. Ill get some pics soon. ~Joe Thanks for the help guys its alway appreciated!!!!!!

:MackLogo:

Hey Guys

I love questions that I can answer,and there's not that many of them. Much like the old question of '' what's the maximum torque for this application?"-stop tightening half a turn before you wring it off-the answer in your case is "a hundred rpms before it comes undone". Even 1 rpm before it blows up is OK,but 100 gives you some room to play with.Again,just happy to be able to help. :pat:

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

• 1 month later...

does the motor have the V pump on it or the inline fuel pump on it?

1993 Mack CH613 350 V-mac complete with Blixxton II module, RTX14710B Fuller tranny, 4.17 ratio 38K camelback rears, converted to 5-axle dump truck in 1999. Over 1 Million miles and counting on original motor

Guest 45LMSWM

I would not be so concerned with RPMs either. Those E9 V8s are better at low RPM. I periodically drive a DM800 with a E9 400, loaded between 200-300 thousand and you can be two gears too high(12 spd Mack) and it will pull you out of it like nothing else I have ever driven. The truck will just about pull anything at those low RPMs and keeps going. Up Hill, trailer bottomed out, whatever! That engine is original to the truck, and there is a plate on the dash that states "DO NOT EXCEED 1900 RPM". It might actually say 1800, it has been a few weeks and I can't remember, but I know it was not over 1900.

John

i would stay with that V pump if your wantin to get easy horsepower, hell put 2 or 3 rounds of fuel on it and run the governer up to 24 or 2500. i know this sounds crazy but my buddy that has 17 E-9 V8's does this kind of stuff all the time. u have to take the intake off to do this stuff tho. he uses one as his transporter for his pullin trucks and he put 3 rounds of fuel on it and ran the governer to 2500 and it runs like a striped ape. he said its puttin down around 750hp, he couldnt remember the torque from the dyno, but it smokes alot on the shifts and it get between 4.1-5.6 mpg depending on how he drives it. its been that way for about 6 years and has had no problems. good luck

1993 Mack CH613 350 V-mac complete with Blixxton II module, RTX14710B Fuller tranny, 4.17 ratio 38K camelback rears, converted to 5-axle dump truck in 1999. Over 1 Million miles and counting on original motor

What are you wanting to do with your V-8? Are you wanting to just play, or play and work both? You will have fun. My family has owned a bunch of E-9's. My uncle had the V-8 Mack known as "Bad Dog". He sold that to Greg Dean in Virginia. Dean has done pretty well with it. He also sold Fred Sanders his "Silver Bullet #2." My uncle just bought Ross Castner's Black Dog this past summer. When my uncle pulled up into the parking lot with that superliner(Black Dog) I couldnt believe it. Under the hood had Four turbos, headers, the whole nine.

post-352-1206495937_thumb.jpg

Edited by brutus998