Who knows about small welders?

2stacksuperdog

So were looking around at small welders and were wondering if they're worth buying or not. We have a 240 Mig but its a pain in the butt to move around for small jobs here and there. I figured you guys(and gilrs) would have some experience with these.

Here is a couple we're looking at:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/jobsmartreg%3B-125-amp-mig-fluxcore-welder

http://www.harborfreight.com/90-amp-flux-wire-welder-68887-8494.html

Matt

I Bought a millermatic 211 mvp it is fairly portable and it runs on 115 or 220 volt will weld 3/16on 115volt one pass and up to 3/8 on 220volt .

I use it alot but it was not real cheap around 900.00 on sale around 1100.00 full price it weighs around 80 lbs.

so far I like it .

a friend of mine bought a cheap one at TSc. We were both less than impressed he did not have it long 115volt farm hand or job smart I don't remember now what it was . the smaller hobart 140 work's well for up to 3/16 they are around 450.00 made by miller

work bought one we used it lots trouble free. Steve

Miller, Lincoln or Hobart(Miller) I have a few year old Hobart 175, its a 220 welder running solid .035 wire and gas I weld anything from sheet metal up to 1/2 plate, gotta go slow on the 1/2 and pre heat to get it on one pass. I would go with a Hobart, Miller or Lincoln dual voltage and run .030 solid wire for something easy to transport and use wherever, I would probably use flux core wire in .035 if I wasn't going to go .030 solid and use gas, the flux core only fills about two thirds the same space per foot of wire as solid core. I have had friends buy the cheaper welders from Harbor freight and Northern and they were toast after less than a year in hobby use, its just not worth it for the price difference and the tips and nozzles are easy to buy for the name brands at any welding store or TSC, CoOp, or farm store.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

For what you want to do flux core .030 or .035 in a 140-160amp welder will do fine, I use a friends Hobart 140 with .030 flux on his trailers all the time (saves me from taking my welder down there and him from bringing his trailers here). Welding with flux core wire isn't as pretty as gas shielded but if you slow down and watch the weld puddle like a stick welder and keep your electrode in the puddle long enough to build up a good bead the spatter goes way down and it can be controlled better, just think of it as a stick welder and go slow and watch your puddle. I actually dime weld with solid wire most of the time and with flux I back and forth it across the seam pausing at either end long enough to get penetration then pull the weld puddle thru the middle of your run to keep it hot on both sides. just my two cents.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

For what you want to do flux core .030 or .035 in a 140-160amp welder will do fine, I use a friends Hobart 140 with .030 flux on his trailers all the time (saves me from taking my welder down there and him from bringing his trailers here). Welding with flux core wire isn't as pretty as gas shielded but if you slow down and watch the weld puddle like a stick welder and keep your electrode in the puddle long enough to build up a good bead the spatter goes way down and it can be controlled better, just think of it as a stick welder and go slow and watch your puddle. I actually dime weld with solid wire most of the time and with flux I back and forth it across the seam pausing at either end long enough to get penetration then pull the weld puddle thru the middle of your run to keep it hot on both sides. just my two cents.

Thanks

Matt

Thanks

Matt

You can pick up a Miller Flux Core 110 / 220 volt and it has an optional gas kit and also an easy swap to reverse polarity to do aluminum. I have one I take with me to job sites with a Honda Generator. Cost me about 4 or 500 for the welder, one hundred for the gas kit. Gen I picked up after the Sandy panic off Craigs List. If I want to do Aluminum it's another 150 for the spool gun. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE