Need 2 Good Steer Tires

doubleclutchinweasel

I still need 2 good used 11R22.5 steer axle tires.

I don't want new ones, since they will dry-rot long before I'll ever wear them out. Not worth the money.

Prefer a matched set with maybe 50% tread life left on them. Probably okay with G (12 ply) rating, since I don't haul anything on this thing.

Most importantly, I want sound, not abused tires that are nice and round. Only ones I have found locally have been severely cupped-out, or cut-up, or had the beads destroyed from dismounting.

Anybody in the region got any...or a good source for them???

Thanks,

Kent

p.s.: I have a few odds and ends (Dayton wheels, etc...) I can offer for part of the deal...if anybody wants them.

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

Don't you have any larger truck tire dealers close by? That would be your best bet for decent takeoffs.Most places don't like to sell used tires to be used as steers because of liability. I used to sell quite a few used tires to local farmers for their straight trucks,but I wouldn't ever sell them used steer tires for that reason. Sold a guy a decent pair of drive tires and saw them a week later on the steer axle of his old Fleetstar straight truck,that put an end to me selling anymore tires privately.Now if I have any decent ones that I can't use,I'll sell them to my tire guy.

Don't you have any larger truck tire dealers close by? That would be your best bet for decent takeoffs.Most places don't like to sell used tires to be used as steers because of liability. I used to sell quite a few used tires to local farmers for their straight trucks,but I wouldn't ever sell them used steer tires for that reason. Sold a guy a decent pair of drive tires and saw them a week later on the steer axle of his old Fleetstar straight truck,that put an end to me selling anymore tires privately.Now if I have any decent ones that I can't use,I'll sell them to my tire guy.

Nope. I live in b.f.e.. Actually, lower b.f.e.. I have contacted some dealers in other cities. So far nobody has anything. Most folks around here wear their tires to the cords before they pull them off.

I have a guy with several trucks in Charlotte who's squirrelling away drive tires as he pulls them off. But no steers yet.

11r22.5 would be found on trailers easily. I use that size for my tag axle tires on a couple of trucks and get them at salvage yards and big trucking outfits that have those trailer tires laying around for spares.

So for the best deal just say you are looking for a decent virgin tire for your tag axle.. i get mine for around $75

11r22.5 would be found on trailers easily. I use that size for my tag axle tires on a couple of trucks and get them at salvage yards and big trucking outfits that have those trailer tires laying around for spares.

So for the best deal just say you are looking for a decent virgin tire for your tag axle.. i get mine for around $75

Generally, you find "trailer" tires on trailers. Got to have "all position" or "steer" for the front axle. But, thank you for your comments.

I have gotten lots of decent tire for my old trucks out of the junkyard. Some hauls or drives a truck in and chances are there is atleast one decent tire it and trailers getting scrapped alot of times will have decent tires. Not i wouldnt want to drive cross country for a living with 2nd hand junkyard tires but for a hobby truck or local run dump they do fine for me. And sence used tires are not worth anything to the scrapper alot of the time they will give them to you just to get rid of them

I have gotten lots of decent tire for my old trucks out of the junkyard. Some hauls or drives a truck in and chances are there is atleast one decent tire it and trailers getting scrapped alot of times will have decent tires. Not i wouldnt want to drive cross country for a living with 2nd hand junkyard tires but for a hobby truck or local run dump they do fine for me. And sence used tires are not worth anything to the scrapper alot of the time they will give them to you just to get rid of them

Good point. Thanks.