Is an E series cab the same as an A cab?

I am working on an A40 restoration and my cab is completely shot. I have an opportunity to buy an E series (EE or EH) with a quite good cab. I have always heard they were the same cab, just wanted to confirm with the experts that it is a bolt on swap. I know I still have a lot of work to do with air lines, cab lights, and a lot of other things, but I will at least have a base to start with. Thank you again everybody

Most people won't know the difference.

A models have side vents in the cowl, E models do not have side vents.

A model doors have vent windows, E models have one piece door glass. The doors could be switched between cabs.

It really depends on you. It is your truck and your money.

Jim

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

There is, I believe, another difference which could be a problem.

Some of the smaller "E" models have a shorter cowl on the cab.

If you look at the ribs in the belt rail there are three going through the cowl to the hood.

On the cabs with the longer cowl the ribs end in the cowl.

On the cabs with the shorter cowl the bottom rib ends as a separate piece that slides onto a clip on the hood.

All "A" models have the long cowl that's how there was room for the vents.

Also although this doesn't make a difference as far as dimensions go the "E" model has an opening windshield and the "A" model windshield is fixed.

Ron

• Like 1

That is a little more concerning. My buddy is a master with sheet metal and I am hoping I can talk him into helping. Perhaps we could hybrid the cabs together. My truck is basically missing everything from the floor up about 6 inches. Just way over my head to make this, and way too much to ask anyone to help with. What exactly is the belt rail you are referring to?

The belt rail is the dividing line between the upper and lower parts of the cab.

The belt rail I'm referring to is the three ribs punched into the cab.

They run all away around the cab, through the doors and end in the cowl with the one wide rib ending at the front of the hood.

"A" model on the left with long cowl.

"DE" which is an "E" model on the right with short cowl.

The "DE" was the next size up from the "ED"

The "DE" was brought out a year later in 1939, the "ED" was '38.

Never heard this from any authority but always figured it came to be as an afterthought.

They had the "E" series established and then they decided they needed one in between the "ED" and the "EE".

What are we going to call it?

Let's flip the letters around and call it a "DE"!

Ron

post-8482-0-05443300-1377221846_thumb.jp

post-8482-0-44115400-1377221898_thumb.jp

• Like 1

This is a picture of a larger "E" model.

Pretty sure it's an "EH"

This has the longer cowl on it, notice that the upper and lower belt rail ribs end in the cowl and don't extend into the hood.

Notice how wide the cowl is.

Very confusing to say the least.

If you look in some of the books I've seen pictures of "DE"'s with long cowl cabs as well.

And last but not least the first "E" model cabs were composition cabs with wood frames and tin tacked to the framework!

Ron

post-8482-0-62410000-1377223438_thumb.jp

I agree with all of you that it looks good, hence my interest in the cab. This I making me want to explore other options and I hate to back out of a deal after a handshake. The truck is in MA and it was her late husbands project. There is also an A30 that is in tougher shape, sadly not as bad as my cab, that comes with it. I had the 2 trucks for 2 grand and hoped to use a handful of A parts and the EE cab. I am glad for all the help. Like I said, trying not to do too much that will bite me later. If anyone is interested in the trucks PM me, It is the least I can do to help find them a good home. It just does not seem like it will work to put an EE cab on an A40. Thank you everyone. And if anyone knows where there is a decent A40 cab, please let me know.