crap in the fuel filters

stev

the dump has not been getting alot of use lately. what use it has gotten has been hauling manure to a guy reclaiming some land for farming, and the road in is, well, just let us say not well improved condition. it was this jostling that snapped one of the straps holding the drivers side fuel tank onto the truck.

since then, we have started seeing a problem with crap clogging the fuel filters. it is hard to describe, kind of like dirt. i assume that the strap breaking stirred up sediment in the bottom of the fuel tank, and expected it to settle back down, but it really hasnt.

so, am i right, and it is crap from the fuel tank? just drain the tank, clean it out with something, and fuel it back up? is it possible it is something else that got knocked loose? is it likely the tank needs to be replaced?

thanx.

It happens.... Natural build up like algae and other debris can become dislodged. especially after its been sitting a while and you start using the truck. Or when you switch from regular diesel to Bio. Bio tends to clean your tank out of old build up.

For sure, if you got some Bio in there it will free up the whole system! Other than that get out your skinny headed mop and start swabbing out the tank (a HUGE q-tip will work to if you can find one). If that doesn't do it you may need another tank.

I have had good luck cleaning them out though.

if you have the round tanks is there a drain in the center of it? either way drain the fuel and pull the plugs flush it out with a pressure washer and dawn dish soap then set in the sun with plugs out to dry, I have done a couple tanks like this only takes a couple hours to dry then I flush a gallon of fuel through it.

If you take it off the truck and take it some where they do the same thing, I seen one place has like heated blower that thy hook up to the inlet and set the tank so it drains to the low plug and after 1/2 hour to 40 minutes the say the tank is ready.

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

if you have the round tanks is there a drain in the center of it? either way drain the fuel and pull the plugs flush it out with a pressure washer and dawn dish soap then set in the sun with plugs out to dry, I have done a couple tanks like this only takes a couple hours to dry then I flush a gallon of fuel through it.

If you take it off the truck and take it some where they do the same thing, I seen one place has like heated blower that thy hook up to the inlet and set the tank so it drains to the low plug and after 1/2 hour to 40 minutes the say the tank is ready.

I also did the wash & dry to my tank, clean as a whistle and no junk in filters now.

You may want to run some Power Service fuel additive if the truck is sitting sometimes. It seems to help keep algae under control. Jim

A good idea to run a multi-functional fuel additive all the time (Power Service, Stanadyne, etc.). Also check for water bottom and drain water from tank. Keep the tank full if sitting for extended periods to minimize condensation.

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

A good idea to run a multi-functional fuel additive all the time (Power Service, Stanadyne, etc.). Also check for water bottom and drain water from tank. Keep the tank full if sitting for extended periods to minimize condensation.

I used to have a problem with condensation but now I eat more fiber and drink more water.