Forgot to add that I purchased new spotting mirrors(circle) and new Mack mirrors(rectangle). Also got mudflap brackets for the rear and two Mack mudflaps. I'm sure there is more and I'll add when I think of it or do more work.

Thanks for the advice! The truck had a tough life off road the last few years building pond levees so I'm paying for it now. It's kind of a funny story on the trip home with it... I had no seatbelts, couldn't get the seat aired up, had a long shifter(gorilla shifter), red offroad diesel, no insurance, atleast one canister wasn't connected to a slack adjuster and come to find out the owner had signed his other R model over to me on accident. LOL!

wow- another thing, always keep a dozen fresh donuts with you, in case you get stopped by the DOT.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Ha, funny you should say that... I bought the truck in North Louisiana(Winnsboro) and drove it south home. I was passing through the Natchez, Mississippi area and DOT had a tanker pulled over. As I passed by he strained his neck watching me the whole time:)

That's what I thought. I'm pretty lucky to have found one of the last yr models then. It's frame and cab are in solid shape which is rare but mechanically it'd had a rough life. I'd been looking for a R with a 300 or bigger and camelback so when I found this one I jumped on it.

The truck looks great and is definitely worth what you put into it.

Thanks for the advice! The truck had a tough life off road the last few years building pond levees so I'm paying for it now. It's kind of a funny story on the trip home with it... I had no seatbelts, couldn't get the seat aired up, had a long shifter(gorilla shifter), red offroad diesel, no insurance, atleast one canister wasn't connected to a slack adjuster and come to find out the owner had signed his other R model over to me on accident. LOL!

The Patron Saint of Red Tags must be watching over you. I'm prolly gonna get DOT'd tonight just for reading that.

• Like 1

Jim

Why did you only replace two on the rear slack adjusters when you did the rear axle brakes? If you replaced everything else but those two I would replace them, then everything would be new back there. Have you looked at front bumpers yet?

Mine has a painted bumper vs the chrome, if they get wrinkled they don't look so bad.

BTW where did you get the wet kit pump from? I am looking for one

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

All the other rear slack adjusters were fine so didn't need to change them. I already bought and installed my bumper it's the first picture I posted. The pump came from my dad when he had 10 Petercar's so I don't know where he got it. He told me I was welcome to anything I could use but not a whole lot swaps over to a Mack.

That r model will still be going strong while these newer ones are in the junk yard

Don't they all?....With all the new stuff done to this one I do believe you should be good for awhile. Don't forget the chrome hubcaps and lugnut covers though

This message was brought to you by Hargraves Potted Meat Product. Chopped full of "Peckers & Lips" since 1933 - John Boy & Billy

Forgot to add that I purchased new spotting mirrors(circle) and new Mack mirrors(rectangle). Also got mudflap brackets for the rear and two Mack mudflaps. I'm sure there is more and I'll add when I think of it or do more work.

great looking truck good luck with her . Just a couple cosmetic add ons I could think of round fender mirrors(very helpful at times) and bumper guide poles with bulldogs on top and maybe a chrome breast plate to go with your chrome bumper .

Local 282 Union Service

It had round fender mirrors at one time but someone took them off. I haven't made up my mind whether I want to put them back or not. I would like bumper guides and the chrome grill guard when I get the funds.

Im just wondering why its not working already, it should do fine and you can work on it little by little, let the truck make some money to pay for those parts.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

The brakes, tires, rearend, motor and rear suspension needed immediate attention so I decided to do everything while it was down. I thought that would be better than trying to get it on and off the road to fix a little at a time.

Wasn't sure if a '91 was considered a "classic" or modern. Glad it falls into the classic area.

I also have a 91 RD 690 S. I found this site while looking for parts. I'm not attempting to hi-jack this thread but I need the headlight assy/bezel/mounting brackets. Blew a steer tire yesterday and when a big floater lets go it does some damage. I never did any fiberglass work but it looks like I'm gonna learn!! If there are some good parts suppliers out there - I'm all ears.

Edited by Brandt

Looks like two new front drums, s-cams, slack adjusters, 4 shoes, bearings and seals are in order for the front axle. I found out I'll need kingpins and bushings as well as spring hangers on the rear side of the front axle.