1977 RS685LT Questions

I am going to look at a truck this weekend and wanted to know a few things before I go drive 5 hours each way. From what the owner says it is a 1977 RS685LT. What were the engine options in that model that year? He says it has an engine brake. And a 5 speed trans. He didn't have any idea what the axle ratings were or what the HP and Torque of the engine. He says he thinks it is 300 HP. From the pictures it looks in fair condition for 340,000 miles. I didn't know what the model RS685LT represented.

I will look at the pictures again. I have a feeling it is mostly original. Was there much that could have been done to turn up the motor? He says it is very strong and he mostly runs full size trucks instead of this 5 yard dump. It would be nice if the owner knew more about his truck. The tag on the truck that showed the original torque and HP was worn off.

Seems like it would be an interesting truck.

Don't forget to post some pics when you be up close.

By the word, how does your LJ?

Haven't you done much about it?

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

• 2 weeks later...

Found another one a little closer to home and it is a 1980 R685D. What does the D stand for? It is set up with a plow. Same deal with the owner not knowing much about the truck but at least I will not be driving all day just to check it out. Where on the forum here is the number and letter designations of the different models at?

Well I end up cutting out of work early Tuesday to go look at the 1980 Mack and after driving almost 4 hours I really didn't want to go home empty handed. Turned out to be an OK truck but needs some work. It came with the plow also. Finally pulled into my driveway at 12:30 at night and got a couple hours of sleep before work that morning.

post-10749-0-78252900-1376635812_thumb.j

post-10749-0-65368500-1376635824_thumb.j

• Like 2

Yeah in all it is a good truck. It made the 170 mile trip home on 5 retread and cracked old tires. The pinion seal started leaking on the way over a 4500 foot tall pass in the mountains. The hydro lines for the plow were leaking at the quick disconnects also. But she never got very hot and even the radiator louvers work.