Please help! Boost dump.

I am sorry for posting frantically, but I need some help. We have two trucks ( mack vision 2006 cxn613) in our fleet that are just being real nasty.

Turbo acuator is dumping all air, boost pressure is lost until about 3rd gear. Once you hit 3rd gear boost is fine. No air to air leaks, turbo is in working order. There is an air purging sound from the valve that is aired by the pid filter. Please help, if you need a video of the noise, I can text, but my phone is being shoddy.

I'd like to hear more on this and the outcome. I have the same model and am not happy with the boost. At times it seems to pull fine then other times? . New air to air, new vgt sensor and complete new vgt oil filter system. Sometimes only 25 to 26lbs when pulling hard, other times 30. Shouldn't it be 35 lbs?

I'll get a pic outta my spec book but have you tried changing the bap sensor? That's cured a few boost problems for me.

Here's a video of whats happening to mine. You think it could be the ECM?

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa111/outdooritis/B9EA833A-54A9-4BE8-A3E6-F7859CD5C35B-431-000001998F4BD77D.mp4

Sorry crappy phone video

• Like 1

I'll get a pic outta my spec book but have you tried changing the bap sensor? That's cured a few boost problems for me.

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa111/outdooritis/B9EA833A-54A9-4BE8-A3E6-F7859CD5C35B-431-000001998F4BD77D.mp4

Sorry crappy phone video

BAP sensor, where is it, what does it do, what am I looking for? thanks

Watched the video, mine bleeds out constant when the pressure is down to 0 and pumping up, once it closes it pumps up air, this is behind tons of airlines on the drivers side above the steering column correct? I can't really see mine, but I can see the rubber disk and feel the air. It pumps up so slow that it sets off a vgt code. Once it reaches pressure the code goes off. Maybe mine is bleeding like your at pressure, will have to check. That is the treadle valve correct? I just changed the vgt sensor so I know it's not that.

• 3 weeks later...

First thing I would check is make sure all grounds are ok and batteries and connections are good. I know that sounds goofy but bad ground and batteries do strange things. Check eecu pins and connectors for damage or corrosion. It Could be that the eecu needs to be flashed and reprogramed. Was the boost pressure sensor recently replaced? If so, could be the wrong sensor. The AI engine and AC engine both have sensors that look the same but do not interchange.

The VGT controller is leaking air psi out the exhaust port = VGT controller no good replace. Need to check the intake over boost check valve also ,if you follow the steel line that comes off the turbo down pipe to were in connects to the manifold the fitting at intake there is a check valve and controls turbo boost surge. Sometimes the spring breaks inside, remove the fitting and inspect for broken spring. If its not broken you can run the end cap jam nut up to increase tension on valve. You said no codes but the wire connection at the turbo that has spring clip on it is notorious for cause low power low boost surge and 45 code . The pins get loose in connection because fan blows on it causing it to vibrate causing pins in connection to get loose . The pins are replaceable so this is a easy fix . The VGT controller use to be rebuildable not sure if you can still get soliniod for it.

• 2 years later...

Sorry crappy phone video

Hello. I have exact same issue with my truck mack vision 2007 cxn613. Would you please share if you resolved the issue. Thank you

Sorry crappy phone video

Hello. I have the same issue with my truck mack vision 2007 cxn613. Would you please share if you resolved the issue. Thank you

• 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Not saying this is the problem however these engines are or should be equip with an over boost valve and tube ! That valve may be sticking open! Its the 1 inch tube on the back of the intake horn on the engine the tube attaches to the exhaust pipe! this valve is apparently set to lift off at 25 psi if it is sticking this could cause an intermittent boost scenario. see stax comment

Edited by fjh
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

yep The ASET CEGR series has that valve, I had replace one a few months ago, because it was sprung inside. jojo

jojo we built  a setup for boost checking these engine two flat plates capping the exhaust and the inlet ! We also had to plug this valve off after testing it to see where it was blowing off at.remove it and put a pipe plug in its place then pressure up the exhaust and intake system to check it all for leaks this test was ultimate for leak checking Absolute coverage as far as leaks went!You can even check the turbo drain tube for blow by  which was a fairly common issue on these and some AI turbos!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fjh said:

jojo we built  a setup for boost checking these engine two flat plates capping the exhaust and the inlet ! We also had to plug this valve off after testing it to see where it was blowing off at.remove it and put a pipe plug in its place then pressure up the exhaust and intake system to check it all for leaks this test was ultimate for leak checking Absolute coverage as far as leaks went!You can even check the turbo drain tube for blow by  which was a fairly common issue on these and some AI turbos!

What grade of pressure do you apply? Something about the normal boos figures? Or higher?

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

'F'  It's got to be great that you work in a shop that lets you make tool's.  The last Mack dealership I worked in, had no interest in my tool making ability...  It had to be a "MackVo" approved tool..  I still made tools when no-one was looking, and fixed what I could...  One boost issue that I solved after a bunch of test drives and head scratching, was on an ASET 'C' eng..  The boost sensor that was replaced was the wrong part number for that engine and it would dump boost at 1500 RPM's consistently.. 2 guys worked on this truck for a month, and put aa turbo on it and an EECU, and all kinds of hours of labor, I was watching but didn't really know all the details.. So I removed the boost sensor, and found a chart that showed the different voltage values for sensors for the ASET 'C'..  I discovered that the sensor that was correct, used 1.5 volts more than the in-correct sensor, causing the EECU to open the VGT early..   $65.00 part, that cost over $8000.00 to find, this was in 2008...  I'm just posting my experience.  Jojo

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

'F'  It's got to be great that you work in a shop that lets you make tool's.  The last Mack dealership I worked in, had no interest in my tool making ability...  It had to be a "MackVo" approved tool..  I still made tools when no-one was looking, and fixed what I could...  One boost issue that I solved after a bunch of test drives and head scratching, was on an ASET 'C' eng..  The boost sensor that was replaced was the wrong part number for that engine and it would dump boost at 1500 RPM's consistently.. 2 guys worked on this truck for a month, and put aa turbo on it and an EECU, and all kinds of hours of labor, I was watching but didn't really know all the details.. So I removed the boost sensor, and found a chart that showed the different voltage values for sensors for the ASET 'C'..  I discovered that the sensor that was correct, used 1.5 volts more than the in-correct sensor, causing the EECU to open the VGT early..   $65.00 part, that cost over $8000.00 to find, this was in 2008...  I'm just posting my experience.  Jojo

Bro this happend's lots at our place too! Difference thou is we don't got a tool budget if its something we run across we need we will build it if the tool looks to overly priced by the volvo /mack criminals! There are also things you can do on MP engines to find leaks that are NOT In the manual ! On an MP8 if you you got a squeal/ leak simply force a regen on it ,this will usually build enough pressure on the exhaust and intake side once its making the noise, run warm  water over the manifold/turbo and egr cooler plumbing joints this usually will uncover what your looking for as a sound change when the water hits the effected area!  Just shit you learn over the years you know how it goes!And usually its the school of hard Knocks that you learn from !

The above MP8 story there was learned late on a Saturday afternoon at going home time after a EGR Cooler change! 😡

• Like 1