Obama to further cut heavy-truck emissions

kscarbel

Fleet Owner / June 26, 2013

But Obama doesn't say what new, post-2018 limits will be.

WASHINGTON, DC. President Obama will take executive action to further reduce the greenhouse-gas (GHG) emissions produced by heavy trucks beyond the limits already set to come into effect by model year 2018.

Noting that his Administration had already set "the first-ever GHG emissions standards for heavy-duty trucks and buses and vans,” it would “in the coming months partner with truckmakers to do it again for the next generation of vehicles.”

Those GHG limits covered 2014-2018 model year heavy-duty trucks, buses, and vans. According to the Obama Administration, these existing rules will cut GHG emissions by some 270- million metric tons and reduce oil consumption by 530- million barrels.

The Presidents’ remark about further cutting heavy-truck emissions came yesterday during a wide-ranging address he made at Georgetown University. There, Obama laid out an ambitious climate-change policy agenda for the remainder of his second term. The speech also included a call for tightening emissions standards for coal-fired power plants and hints about the future of the highly controversial the Keystone XL oil pipeline.

According to the President’s Climate Change Action Plan—which will be driven by executive actions not requiring Congressional approval— the Administration will once again “in partnership with industry leaders and other key stakeholders” develop “post-2018 fuel economy standards for heavy-duty vehicles to further reduce fuel consumption through the application of advanced cost-effective technologies.”

The action plan says only that— it offers no details on how much of a further improvement in MPG will need to be wrung from heavy trucks.

However, some details emerged this morning when two government panelists here at the Alternative Clean Transportation Expo replied to questions about the heavy-duty standards in the action plan.

EPA’s Christopher Grundler, Director of the Office of Transportation and Air Quality, said that the policy was in its “very early days” but “[EPA] have begun some technical work in this area, but scope and schedule all to be determined.”

Grundler reminded the audience that the Administration had conferred with manufacturers for the first round (2014-18 model year) of heavy-duty GHG/MLP standards. He said that areas now under consideration “span the gamut from better engines to better transmissions to better aerodynamic designs to fuel-based strategies… All that is on the table for consideration as we begin this collaborative process.

“We Intend to follow same successful way we did this last time,” he continued, “which is to engage the interested stakeholders early to keep them involved throughout the process and to listen to their concerns as well as the opportunities they see for developing cost effective proposals.”

Asked about whether measurement standards would change in future, Grundler responded that “I don't expect the metric to change from the ton-mile basis.”

He pointed out as well that there is work still to be done on trailers under the first round of standards. “We did make a commitment as part of the first round to look at trailers and we will,” he stated. However, he did not elaborate as to whether such trailer- related standards would come before the 2018 timeframe set for the new, second round of GHG/MPG rules.

Grundler also advised that the next round of heavy-duty standards would “take advantage” of work done for the Dept.of Energy’ s Super Truck research project.

Also on the panel was Daniel Utech, Deputy Director of the White House Office of Energy and Climate Change Policy. While Utech said he couldn't speak to the future standards specifically, he allowed that the "Administration remains committed to funding R&D in this space... We're committed here."

Reaction to the President’s heavy truck initiative from the American Trucking Assns. (ATA) was extremely positive. “We were enthusiastic supporters of the most recent round of standards for heavy-duty vehicles and we look forward to working with the Administration with the goal of setting economically achievable economy standards based on sound scientific research,” said ATA spokesperson Sean McNally.

Also upbeat was Navistar. “Fuel efficiency is a priority for Navistar and our customers and we continue to be actively engaged in providing solutions for improved fuel efficiency and reduced greenhouse gas emissions,” manager of external communications Elissa Koc Maurer told FleetOwner. “We look forward to working with the Environmental Protection Agency on this next phase.”

Sean Waters, director of compliance & regulatory affairs for Daimler Trucks North America (DTNA), manufacturer of Freightliner and Western Star Trucks as well as Detroit engines and transmissions, told FleetOwner the OEM “applauds efforts to reduce carbon emissions as evidenced by our leadership and looks forward to improving fuel economy and reducing carbon emissions without sacrificing future vehicle performance.

“In February 2012, EPA certified DTNA’s complete portfolio of model year 2013 on-highway, vocational and medium-duty vehicles as fully compliant with the new GHG14 regulations,” he continued. “DTNA’s commitment to green technologies is part of parent company Daimler AG’s global ‘Shaping Future Transportation’ initiative.” Waters said that initiative, launched in 2007, is “focused on reducing criteria pollutants, carbon dioxide and fuel consumption through the utilization of clean, efficient drive systems and alternative fuels.”

“DTNA is focused on providing our customers with sustainable options that exceed performance expectations at every turn,” added David Hames, DTNA’s gm of marketing and strategy.

Also enthusiastic was Volvo Trucks, especially regarding the new GHG rules being developed in a collaborative public-private manner, as happened with the first set.

“Environmental care has long been a Volvo core value, so we support the Administration’s ongoing focus on reducing greenhouse gas emissions,” Susan Alt, senior vp of public affairs for Volvo Group told FleetOwner. “We appreciate that the Administration is again taking a collaborative approach and seeking the industry’s input for this latest round of heavy-duty vehicle standards. We look forward to working together to develop environmentally beneficial standards that also take into consideration the associated economic and operational challenges.

“Volvo was the first heavy truck manufacturer to meet EPA 2010 emissions regulations and our full product lineup was awarded certificates of conformance by EPA and NHTSA under the first-ever greenhouse-gas regulations for heavy trucks,” Alt added.

Obama....................Loose Cannon...........An unpredictable person or thing, liable to cause damage if not kept in check by others...........Sounds right to me?? no? Ya think someone in DC is keepin him in check??? Maybe Nancy or Harry?? or good old Joe B.??? Ya think this guy even knows what a tail pipe is?? We all know he knows a lot about health ins.

BULLHUSK

I care deeply about the environment, but I would have been satisfied to have stopped at EPA2003 (Euro-3) until research and development on a cutting edge next generation emissions control technology had arrived at a genuine leap forward.

Why? Because EPA2003 (Euro-3) engines were TEN TIMES cleaner than the trucks of the 70s and 80s, representing a DRAMATIC positive change for the environment (and our health). Pushing forward with unacceptably high EGR levels (EPA2007) was a clumsy error in judgement.

With engines 10 times cleaner than what we'd used for decades, we could have waited until 2015 or 2020 to take the next leap forward with a thoroughly hashed out next generation emissions control technology.

• Like 2

This is my argument, we haven't had a carbureted car basically since the late 1980's 20 some years of cars with o2 censers. We're almost 10 years of truck emissions and traveling is down the last 4 years cause of high fuel prices. And yet the government said a couple months ago that CO2 levels are higher then all times before ?

This is my argument, we haven't had a carbureted car basically since the late 1980's 20 some years of cars with o2 censers. We're almost 10 years of truck emissions and traveling is down the last 4 years cause of high fuel prices. And yet the government said a couple months ago that CO2 levels are higher then all times before ?

Obviously what Washington says doesn't need to be based in reality, hell it can just be a plain old lie!

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

I'm waitin for the AX to fall on the glider kits! Ya know It's commin down the Pike! If they keep puttin more shit under these trucks I'll have to put pony motors on the trailers like the old days! I'm just about gettin the blower and PTO under these new trucks! I just had to buy a new W-Star cause I just didn't have the time to put together another glider, but OMG what we had to do to get around that muffler and shit !! I just ordered another Glider this time with a motor (no trans or rears) I'm goin with a Detroit 14 liter 575 hp non EGR. My son wants me to put a 12.7 500 hp motor in for fuel mi, but I did a fuel check this week on this new glider with the 575 and were up to 7MPG!! we were over 6 when it was new! I'll bet this new one with the DEF won't be that good

BULLHUSK

I'm waitin for the AX to fall on the glider kits! Ya know It's commin down the Pike! If they keep puttin more shit under these trucks I'll have to put pony motors on the trailers like the old days! I'm just about gettin the blower and PTO under these new trucks! I just had to buy a new W-Star cause I just didn't have the time to put together another glider, but OMG what we had to do to get around that muffler and shit !! I just ordered another Glider this time with a motor (no trans or rears) I'm goin with a Detroit 14 liter 575 hp non EGR. My son wants me to put a 12.7 500 hp motor in for fuel mi, but I did a fuel check this week on this new glider with the 575 and were up to 7MPG!! we were over 6 when it was new! I'll bet this new one with the DEF won't be that good

BULLHUSK

Fitzgerald Truck Parts build Gliders in Crossville TN, they use new Reman Series 60 engines and eatone transmissions on new glider kits with new rears, they do em right too all the piping and wiring is perfect they look like theyre right out of the factory.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

I havent seena yone note that Truck Fuel consumption was at its lowest point in history right before we had to go the the 04 Emissions standards, heavy diesel engines reached their peak right there and have been junk ever since. I just dont think you just cant change to a fuel with a third less BTU's, slap massive EGR on a diesel engine and make it run thru an exhaust filter that requires more power to equal the same rwhp, and for you to burn even more fuel to clean it and use less fuel therefore creating a better environment. The same crap over and over politicians dictating policy about something they know nothing about, I bet not one of them even knows what a BTU is let alone the fact that heavy trucks were getting in the 7's and low 8's for mpg before and then after jan 2010 they went to 4's for mpg " I dont know mr president we made the policy its the engine manufacturers fault it cant be done" I did the math using one of my old trucks and a friends new truck back in 2011 and guess what the old truck used less fuel per month to do the same job, so how is the new emissions technology better? And now they want the engine makers to get better emissions and use less fuel doing it, oh and let us not forget that means they will have to squeeze more out of a fuel that wont run an older Diesel for shit, I was trucking when the new ULSD fuel came out at the pump and saw my power and fuel mileage drop like a rock, I had to get another whole gear on hills and got over 1mpg less fuel mileage just due to the weaker fuel, might as well run em on water in my mind.

I agree, too much focus on cleaner emissions and not enough on improving MPG. A truck that gets good fuel mileage will, by definition, emit less pollutants AND save the operator $$$$$.

I mean c'mon, 20 year old technology is still capable of getting the same if not better than a brand new truck. THATS CRAP!

So the president says new trucks have to get better fuel economy, which puts more dollars in your pocket... And you're complaining?

Here is the problem with that. less fuel purchase means they are raising the fuel tax. so in other words still paying just as much as before if not more. crooks got to get there money some how

So the president says new trucks have to get better fuel economy, which puts more dollars in your pocket... And you're complaining?

No, I'm complaining that the last 10+ years of R&D have been too focused on decreasing emissions instead of increasing MPG.

The article doesn't say that at all, get your facts straight. As far as emissions vs. fuel economy, pollution is mostly a product of population concentration and congestion, for example North Dakota has all kinds of diesel trucks and coal fired power plants, and they also have the cleanest air in the nation. The tightened emissions rules should have applied only to the areas with air pollution problems, not the whole country.

I've seen kids in diesel pickup trucks mash the gas and just pour the black smoke, just to be showing off. Seen it lots of times too, yet a big truck's exhaust has to be cleaner than the air it takes in?

I wish I could roll coal like this KW I saw in Ohio last week.

post-1374-0-67836800-1372613498_thumb.jp

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

The article doesn't say that at all, get your facts straight. As far as emissions vs. fuel economy, pollution is mostly a product of population concentration and congestion, for example North Dakota has all kinds of diesel trucks and coal fired power plants, and they also have the cleanest air in the nation. The tightened emissions rules should have applied only to the areas with air pollution problems, not the whole country.

Heres a fact for ya....Obama...Community Organizer, never had a real job

Obama the worst pres. since Carter

Older trucks without all the BS on them get better fuel mi then any new truck

BULLHUSK PS As soon as some company tells Obama that they have a solar panel that straps to the top of your class 8 truck to power it with the sun, Obama will give tham a Billion dollars of our money and then???? Oh well I didn't say it would work!

• Like 2

Let's see... Barack's been an organizer, attorney, legislator, U.S. senator, and president... Bet you couldn't even do one of them jobs! And his bosses (us) liked his work enough that he never lost a re-election!

Let's see the IRS taken down the t-Party before the election.... Oh ya think that helped him get re-elected?? Your right I'll bet I can't cause there are not enough BS and lies that I could tell the people of this country over the past 4 years like Obama has! To be the kind of Pres. that this phony has been to the American people! (Hope and Change what a joke) He did not win this election fair an square and I hope that people start goin to jail soon. Now Lets see you state some of the facts on all of the stuff like guns to Mexico, Sep.11, IRS, wire tapping and the list of wrong goes on, so lets hear some of those facts?? And by the way, I'd like to see Barack' start out as a truck driver like I did and have what I have today! On my own just like many other people on the site have done! So It's not how many people can do his job, cause thats E/Z cause he does nothin anyway!! It's could HE..lets see do a payroll? or drive a truck and then get under it and fix it so he can put food on the table for his family or do anything without help from the GOV?? I'll bet not. So in the end It's not if me or any one hard workin person can do his job?? the real tell tail story Of Barack H OBAMA is could he do mine?? I think not

BULLHUSK

Oh by the way did you get your phone??

O bummer is destroying this country but he is not the only one to blame, it takes all the other morons in Washington that will say or do anything to stay in office to get to this point, we cant afford to run the government without cuts but we can give millions free cell phones, housing, food, healthcare, and just plain money for nothing, they have extended every pay out like unemployment, housing and food stamps but not done anything to bring more money in, now we are going to just give Africa 9 billion dollars? wtf man? If we didnt have enough money to avoid the supposed fiscal cliff and sequester, our infrastructure is crumbling but we dont have the money to maintain it properly so how can we give another country 9 billion dollars? We have to get the message thru that we are done giving hand outs and we are done supporting the rest of the world until we get our shit straight here at home and the only way to do that is to clean house in washington and start over with term limits to keep it from happening again. Any legislator that votes for anything they said they were against, any time the politicians procrastinate for well over a year and wont reach an agreement leaving the rest of us holding the bag needs to be booted immediately and any time there is an election with 126% voter turn out it needs to be voided and done again till its right there is absolutely no way on this earth that whole districts voted for one candidate but if you read the vote tally there were several all Obama counties in several states and several states with well over 120% voter turn out, that is not possible but they just swept it under the rug and went on with business as usual, again wtf? I am a single white male with a job, I get 0 in help from the government and never have, I have never drawn unemployment, I have never gotten free healthcare or money for food or a phone or car insurance, but I pay in more money each year in taxes than I and many other made in a year when I started working oh and thats well over $20,000 in case you were wondering. I even got to pay more in taxes this year, I wasnt supposed to, the politicians said I wouldnt have to, that I was under the limit but nope I pay more, enough that my 3% raise on the 1st of July wont get me back to what I netted last year, so whats so good about the current administration again? Im sorry I just dont see anything good coming my way any time soon from the fed, ever since this batch of fools got in there Ive been getting screwed harder and harder every year and It makes me sick, I have contemplated quitting my job and going back to driving a truck for someone else and getting some tax releif and oh yeah guess what if my math is right I would net the same amount if I made 30k less a year, so how does that compute? OK rant over I gotta ignore this crap now before I get really ticked off.