R model mirror bracket hitting air cleaner

I always wondered why they couldn't make this stuff fit without running into each other? My passenger wing window had dented the cap on my air cleaner from previous owner(if you flip the wing fully it runs into the cap when you open the door). I've since fixed the dent and put a riser on the cap to get it above the door frame.

The fact the door only opens half way is a real PITA for getting in(not that I have to) but others have a hard time with it.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Why isn't the mirror mounted on the air cleaner chimney like they used to be?

To my knowledge they only mounted the mirror arms to the air cleaner on "U" and "DM" models with the offset cab.

This was done to get the mirror far enough over to the right so you can see down the the R.H. side.

"R" models with the centered cab always had them mounted on the door.

Ron

I always wondered why they couldn't make this stuff fit without running into each other? My passenger wing window had dented the cap on my air cleaner from previous owner(if you flip the wing fully it runs into the cap when you open the door). I've since fixed the dent and put a riser on the cap to get it above the door frame.

The fact the door only opens half way is a real PITA for getting in(not that I have to) but others have a hard time with it.

Oh boy Hippie,

I hope the girlfriend doesn't hear what you are saying about her..... ;)

yup always hated how the pass door of a B61 with a turbo air cleaner didn't open far enough. I like the looks of the stack but they are hard to find. Tidewater use to sell them brand new. on a side note our Dm at work is a 72 and has the mirror mounted to the drip rail and cab, kinda cobbled up if you ask me. a few older ones we scrapped 68 and 69 DM's they were mounted to the air cleaner stack. Larry I agree with the vent window hitting. my B61 has the 'Tophat' style air cleaner bonnet and not the round hubcap lookin one and the vent window hits it when opened all the way. was gonna change it but I like the tophat style. thought about adding an extension but never seen the extension with the tophat style bonnet either.

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

The passenger side door hinge should prevent this.. It has a stop that limits door travel... I thought the stop was just welded in? May have broke louse?

The vent window will still hit the cleaner even with the stop present. Some with twin breathers had this stop on both doors. Made it a real pita to get stuff in and out of the cab!

Hi maddog, I think the chimney has to be made nowadays, shouldnt be too hard, but its the correct way to mount the mirror instead of that half ass way Mack had some kid design it for them, no offense to the ambitious kids on this site as they wouldn't have thought this up

RONCETTI

yea the piece of shit design they had after was horrible with the 3/8 nutsert that was over the rain gutter that always breaks loose inside the cab and you have to drop the headliner to hold onto it or put a nut on it. plus the odd shaped mirror bracket looks like it belonged on some brand X throw away truck.

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg