Chrome bumper for Mack cl?

post-598-0-21194600-1370268802_thumb.jpgFinally gona break down and buy a chrome bumper for my 96 cl,question is what size do I get,stay with 14'' wide or would a wider bumper look better,the price difference between 14 and 16 or 18 wide is only about thirty bucks more,what do you guys have or what do you think would look the best?

Why chrome? is the steel / black bumper worn out? IMO, the truck looks great with the black bumper, i would not change a thing.

Rick

Could never wear out that bumper,it's made from quarter inch steel,any one that gets close to it says holy chit where did you get that from,lol I have the build sheet for the truck and the Mack dealer had it special made for the original owner..sure would be cheaper to leave it alone,might do that to..

Just a thought. Repaint the bumper body color then add polished alum diamond plate panels over the flat surfaces of the bumper. Keep that rugged bumper and get a little shine at the same time. Don't butt the plates, instead leave an 1/8 inch on all sides of each flat surface. two sided body molding tape would hold the alum plates in place.

Could never wear out that bumper,it's made from quarter inch steel,any one that gets close to it says holy chit where did you get that from,lol I have the build sheet for the truck and the Mack dealer had it special made for the original owner..sure would be cheaper to leave it alone,might do that to..

If you REALLY want a chrome bumper, take a week or two vacation and send that bumper in to be chrome plated while you're not using the truck. You aren't likely to find a stronger bumper being mass produced....and bumpers SHOULD be strong. I've never understood why they put those flimsy bumpers on trucks....where if you even LOOK at 'em funny and they'll bend. I've smacked 2 deer....55mph or better each time....and my bumper is still pretty straight. It is nowhere near 1/4" thick, either....might be half that. I've been drooling over the bumpers you see on those oilfield trucks for a long time....solid, strong bumpers with the skid plate and grille guard attached for trucks where the grille doesn't tip forward with the hood....just some tough looking bumpers. Since I don't have an AC condenser, I've even been contemplating using the mounting holes in the charge air cooler (that would normally hold the AC condenser) to fabricate a bracket to hold the grille on my CH....then trim the hood opening a little to allow the grille to pass through it rather than being bolted to it....that way I could mount up one of those bumpers. Then I started seeing some of those bumpers where the grille guard portion was hinged to fold down out of the way so that you could open the hood if the grille was attached to it. Either way would work for me.

Especially on a "work" truck, ground clearance and a tough bumper are important. The higher off the ground that bumper is, the less likely it is to get snagged on objects at the job site and bent....and the tougher it is, the less likely it is to bend if it DOES get into something. Heck, I'd even move the plate from under the bumper to have it mounted on the bumper....ground clearance and all. Keep it tall & strong....but that's just my opinion. Take it for what it's worth.

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

MACKS I kind of like the idea these guys have about maybe leaving it on. Maybe paint it a different color and add some striping or lettering to it. Kind of give a old school feel to her. As far as chrome bumpers out there I think the chrome isn't great and thin and I hate rust. Maybe as Rowdy says have it chromed but it would probably be very expensive.

Cheers, Rob

I have a chrome bumper for an Rd if you think you can make it fit let me know. It has the two holes per side that are verically offset. I'm asking 450 dollars.

Thank you but I can buy the correct bumper manufactured by valley chrome for 420 plus shipping..