Loud Tick In 237

aln61

I've got a 74 mack 237 actually i think the motor is about a 80 s model . it has very loud tick sounds like in the head. it is not a knock just very loud tick. the valves have been adjusted. runs fine, just ticks could it be a burnt exhaust valve. and would it be cheaper to do valve job or find replacement head should i do both heads at same time ?

hard to say without being right there by the engine but if you say its running fine then i would have no reason to believe it would be a burnt valve. did the tick come on all at once or has it always been in the engine ? Now if it was me i would at least check the valve train out one more good time and recheck the adjustment on the valves. They set on .16 intake and .24 exhaust if u didn't already know and make sure you check the adjustment with the cylinder on tdc. If all that checks out ok and there is still a tick then i would listen very hard and make sure the tick is not coming from the injector pump and not the heads. Reason for saying this is i have a 74 R-600 with a 300 and the pump ticks so loud you would swear it had a valve backed off. Truck has always runned like a new one so i have never had a reason to try and fix the tick in the pump.

I've got a 74 mack 237 actually i think the motor is about a 80 s model . it has very loud tick sounds like in the head. it is not a knock just very loud tick. the valves have been adjusted. runs fine, just ticks could it be a burnt exhaust valve. and would it be cheaper to do valve job or find replacement head should i do both heads at same time ?

I had a 72 237 and the hard surface on the lifter was breaking off and ate the cam up. i would ajust the valves and the tick would come back. the lifters were more than the cam. Ron

I had a 237 make a tick when it was leaking a small amount of compression out of the head gasket. I didnt know it was a compression leak untill the gasket went and the noise was gone after i put new head gaskets and fire rings on it

sum old farmer tricks!

IF you suspect the above , it usually happens between the heads !To find or confirm it get a gallon of water or a garden hose and dump or spray it between the heads the noise will disapear momentarly if it does youv'e found your problem! :)

If the cam is suspected check the drain plug for shiny slabs of metal Note this problem will (USUALLY) be acompanied by a poping noise in the air cleaner!

the pulling truck we built last summer had the same problem. almost sounded like a rod nock as it would come and go under accell and decell we dropped the oil pan and took the rockers off and found everything was ok. then one day it just stopped knocking LOL..it may have been a stuck lifter but we never found the issue? so far the engine has made 2 sled pull events and ran down the road at 2500RPM and has not missed a beat??

I had a 237 make a tick when it was leaking a small amount of compression out of the head gasket. I didnt know it was a compression leak untill the gasket went and the noise was gone after i put new head gaskets and fire rings on it

sum old farmer tricks!

IF you suspect the above , it usually happens between the heads !To find or confirm it get a gallon of water or a garden hose and dump or spray it between the heads the noise will disapear momentarly if it does youv'e found your problem! :)

If the cam is suspected check the drain plug for shiny slabs of metal Note this problem will (USUALLY) be acompanied by a poping noise in the air cleaner!

Gday fjh how are you mate? Ive got a popping sound coming from my 285. It does it when you start it both when its hot and cold. It doesnt seem to be ticking and the pop seems to go out of it when you rev it up. Any ideas? Would it be worth measuring the lift of each push rod?

Gday fjh how are you mate? Ive got a popping sound coming from my 285. It does it when you start it both when its hot and cold. It doesnt seem to be ticking and the pop seems to go out of it when you rev it up. Any ideas? Would it be worth measuring the lift of each push rod?

I had a 237 and a 285 with a popping noise, you could hear it through the air cleaner when you let off the accellator petal and when you shut it down, mine was a loose valve seat on the intake. Ron

I had a 237 and a 285 with a popping noise, you could hear it through the air cleaner when you let off the accellator petal and when you shut it down, mine was a loose valve seat on the intake. Ron

That is sounding like the noise Ive got. The truck runs and performs well it just pops. I dont think its the dynatard, Ive powered the solenoids at idle and it seems to be a different noise. How did your trucks run when they were making the noise?

That is sounding like the noise Ive got. The truck runs and performs well it just pops. I dont think its the dynatard, Ive powered the solenoids at idle and it seems to be a different noise. How did your trucks run when they were making the noise?

Skip my truck ran and pulled good wouldnt known any thing was wrong with it, the only time it would make the popping noise is when you let off. Ron

Skip my truck ran and pulled good wouldnt known any thing was wrong with it, the only time it would make the popping noise is when you let off. Ron

Loose valve seats are noticible as you pull the shut down!Have some one pull the stop and listen near the air cleaner!in anycase they make one hell of a mess when they drop if it is a seat fine which one and pull that head!

sum old farmer tricks!

i did look at heads and i noticed small oil leak that just started i will definitly try the water trick. thanks to all and i hope to get this problem fixed shortly

• 4 weeks later...

My Dmm with a 237 has the same popping sound in the air cleaner, I swear to "Todd" that its a mack trait for a "well seasoned" mack engine. We just put head gaskets in it this last fall, it seems to run strong though.

post-1247-1199496334.jpg

My Dmm with a 237 has the same popping sound in the air cleaner, I swear to "Todd" that its a mack trait for a "well seasoned" mack engine. We just put head gaskets in it this last fall, it seems to run strong though.

[

If you have a poping sound in the intake it will be a exhaust rocker that has too much valve clearance or if it is poping thru the ehaust it will be a intake rocker with too much valve clearance, saying that it is not a valve burnt and that is a more of a hiss sound like a compression leak. glenn

glenn akers

post-1247-1199496334.jpg

:mack1: Have had loose exhaust seats do that at an idle or when you let off the throttle, might last a week or 5 years! Terry

Have had loose exhaust seats do that at an idle or when you let off the throttle, might last a week or 5 years! Terry

Yes and i had one that had a lose valve guide i think on the intake but it was so wore out that the valve was rubing the liner so hard that it had a 1/8" groove wore in it as it would open and the valve was hanging open and the piston was pushing it close. glenn

glenn akers

• 2 weeks later...
i did look at heads and i noticed small oil leak that just started i will definitly try the water trick. thanks to all and i hope to get this problem fixed shortly

I did the water hose trick and found a intake manifold leak so i finally found a set of gaskets for it and got it back together and still tick so i went back to water hose and sprayed on heads and found the head gasket leaking also guess i should have looked closer the first time . now just have to take off head and go to the mack dealer to match gasket because i cannot find the 11GB #on the engine anywhere all #s i come up with are not the ones to help. should i go ahead and do both heads or not worry with the front head at this time? would it be possible to pull both heads with intake and exhaust manifolds still on it? i do have a over head chain fall to assist.

I did the water hose trick and found a intake manifold leak so i finally found a set of gaskets for it and got it back together and still tick so i went back to water hose and sprayed on heads and found the head gasket leaking also guess i should have looked closer the first time . now just have to take off head and go to the mack dealer to match gasket because i cannot find the 11GB #on the engine anywhere all #s i come up with are not the ones to help. should i go ahead and do both heads or not worry with the front head at this time? would it be possible to pull both heads with intake and exhaust manifolds still on it? i do have a over head chain fall to assist.

Yup do em both! As Brent said, For best results you should have the fire ring grooves recut!