How much topsoil do I need?

1958 F.W.D.

I dont know a thing about this, so please forgive me.

I want to do a makeover some portions of my yard and I will need topsoil. I think they sell it by the yard, yes??? Or is it by the ton?

How do I calculate how much I will need?

And since we're at it.....Do I lay it out, roll it with the roller and then throw the grass seed and hay/straw, or do I I lay it down, throw the grass seed, roll it with the roller and then put down hay/straw??

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

I rake it out and seed It, then roll it out sometimes I use pete moss after I roll it instead of straw, the straw sometimes screws up the lawn mower blades. But if It's a large area the hay/ straw is the E/Z way out!

BULLHUSK

PS If you are usin a Lawn Boy Mower you will have no prob with the hay, and of course use a good roller with a 3-71 Detroit as to wake up the soil (as well as the neighbors!)

I rake it out and seed It, then roll it out sometimes I use pete moss after I roll it instead of straw, the straw sometimes screws up the lawn mower blades. But if It's a large area the hay/ straw is the E/Z way out!

BULLHUSK

PS If you are usin a Lawn Boy Mower you will have no prob with the hay, and of course use a good roller with a 3-71 Detroit as to wake up the soil (as well as the neighbors!)

Yes- I will be sure to use the mower with the 2-stroke......Where a frikken two-stroke BELONGS!!!!!!

Hey whats the oil/fuel mix ratio for a 3-71? And can I just mop up the oil on the ground under it with a sponge and use that in the mix?

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

No green to buy green sod with.

You got a neighbor with a nice yard? Renting a sod cutter is cheaper than buying sod, they'll never notice a little yard missing. On a side note me and a friend actually did that to someone once, it was freakin hilarious to see his face when he came back from fl to see his perfect front yard was half missing. We did put it back and he was a friend we were waiting there ti see his face "priceless ". That's what he gets for talking trash about my yard!!

• Like 1

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

You got a neighbor with a nice yard? Renting a sod cutter is cheaper than buying sod, they'll never notice a little yard missing. On a side note me and a friend actually did that to someone once, it was freakin hilarious to see his face when he came back from fl to see his perfect front yard was half missing. We did put it back and he was a friend we were waiting there ti see his face "priceless ". That's what he gets for talking trash about my yard!!

Gee....with friends like that!!! Must be a tough neighborhood.

Cutting sod is easy. The rolling and stacking part sucks.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

• 8 years later...
On 4/8/2013 at 7:34 AM, 1958 F.W.D. said:

I dont know a thing about this, so please forgive me.

I want to do a makeover some portions of my yard and I will need topsoil. I think they sell it by the yard, yes??? Or is it by the ton?

How do I calculate how much I will need?

And since we're at it.....Do I lay it out, roll it with the roller and then throw the grass seed and hay/straw, or do I I lay it down, throw the grass seed, roll it with the roller and then put down hay/straw??

Replying a 2013 thread 😀. But why not, i was looking for a calculator to calculate Topsoil for my yard and i found this https://topsoilcalculator.online helpful so thought to share will the internet in case any one need it.