Windows needed for MH

There is unfortunately no conversion from air to electric wipers for an "MH"

The Sprague wiper motors in my opinion are absolute garbage, Trico motors were much better.

These things used to give me fits, they would quit in Ky., S.C., Fl. wherever!

Keep your fingers crossed that there was a Mack dealer nearby, that they had the parts and if they did, they could work on it right away.

After all that criteria was met be assured that you were gonna get bent way over and not even get a lip lock!

I finally out of desperation did manage to convert one of our "MH"'s over to an electric motor for the drivers side.

This is only one you could convert, of course it's the only one you really need anyway!

I looked into converting the one on the passenger side but that was totally impossible with the H.V.A.C. ductwork!

If you ask me how I did it I'm not going to be able to tell you exactly how I did it, it was too long ago, and we don't own the truck anymore, but the truck is still around.

For the conversion I started with an electric motor for the left side an "MR" but believe me, with no exaggeration,it was quite involved!!!!!!

The thing worked great, very quiet, and with the electric motor was able to have an intermittent delay in it, something you can't have with air.

The main thing about it is it kept working, one less thing to worry about when the phone rang at 2 o'clock in the morning and it was raining and the

truck was in Va. loaded headed north!!

It also made the wiper arms and blades last longer because they didn't bang with the electric motor.

Ron

There is unfortunately no conversion from air to electric wipers for an "MH"

The Spraque wiper motors in my opinion are absolute garbage, Trico motors were much better.

It also made the wiper arms and blades last longer because they didn't bang with the electric motor.

Ron

Ron,

And I thought the "bang" was something wrong...guess not. Is there an adjustment for the sweep? My driver's side hits the outside window rubber.

Are the Trico motors a direct replacement? Are they available, P/N?

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

Ken

The Trico motors were the first ones used in an "MH", small half round shaped castings like the last ones used in an "F" model.

They went to the Sprague motors after Trico went out of the air wiper motor business.

There is no adjustment to the sweep of the motor other than buying another motor (higher than elephant ass if they're even still available,which I doubt)

There was a rubber snubber located on the plastic mounting plate between the two arms that I think was to eliminate some of the bang, this might also

cause the arm to have a little excess sweep if it is missing.

You can also remove the arm and reinstall it closer to the center windshield post to try to eliminate it hitting the outside edge of the windshield rubber

while in operation.

Just for curiosity sake, Ken, how many times have you had to repair the windshield washer hoses where they wrap around the motors.

With a fleet of "MH"'s you could make a career out of keeping them working without washer fluid spraying out all over the place!!

Ron

Ken

Just for curiosity sake, Ken, how many times have you had to repair the windshield washer hoses where they wrap around the motors.

With a fleet of "MH"'s you could make a career out of keeping them working without washer fluid spraying out all over the place!!

Ron

Ron - zero.....the tube is off the driver's side. I just hope I don't need to use the washer. I replaced the snubber on the passenger side, driver side next.

Ken

Wipers/motors were a problem on my MH almost from new! i don't know how many times i put the washer tube back on,and how many other vehicles (and pedestrians) got "peed" on when i used the washer!....................................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Ron - zero.....the tube is off the driver's side. I just hope I don't need to use the washer. I replaced the snubber on the passenger side, driver side next.

Ken, did the dealer have the snubber? I put some rubber washers on mine but I will buy the snubber if it is available.

Is the dealer still making you buy 2 of each?

Best way to find out is to call the dealer and get the price and minimum quantity. Considering the cost and size of a windshield, I doubt you will need to by 2 of each.

Ken

Well just spoke with Nextran in Miami and told me i need to buy four windows in a crate.

If the Mack dealer is absurdly trying to force you to buy the entire package (crate) quantity of four windshields when you of course only need one, then you need to call Volvo customer satisfaction (I mean Mack, er, whatever) at +1 (866) 298-6586 and complain. I suspect they can help you purchase just one.

What kind of dealer would make a customer buy 4 right and 4 left windshields in order to get one of each? Volvo's Mack district parts rep condones this activity?