Cross Bronx 'Spressway Dangers

other dog

LOL! wheres your sense of adventure? you oughta' come up an take a ride with me sometime! maybe even learn a new word or two!.....................................Mark

Mark,

We are in and outa there every day with cement!! But heres a few ! I can't stand on my feet to long cause I gots 'Very Close Veins'

I don'ts want to get that 'Sick as hell anemia' ??

I stopped drinkin causea my ' Sir roaches in my liver'

River crossings The Harlem Tunnel

The Very Narrows Bridge into Brooklyn

The Outter Ridge Crossing

The NJ Turn Pipe

The 69th street bridge

BULLHUSK

• Like 2

Mark,

We are in and outa there every day with cement!! But heres a few ! I can't stand on my feet to long cause I gots 'Very Close Veins'

I don'ts want to get that 'Sick as hell anemia' ??

I stopped drinkin causea my ' Sir roaches in my liver'

River crossings The Harlem Tunnel

The Very Narrows Bridge into Brooklyn

The Outter Ridge Crossing

The NJ Turn Pipe

The 69th street bridge

BULLHUSK

Don't for get the famous "Ah gots arrested and Gots my car compounded by the Poolice. Next moanin Ah Gots taken to arrangement coat . :banana:

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Don't for get the famous "Ah gots arrested and Gots my car compounded by the Poolice. Next moanin Ah Gots taken to arrangement coat . :banana:

LOL, And this one was the best ..... Ever since I gots my D Vorce I been payin this guy Al Mahony, and from what's I be knowin, so be everybody else?? Who an the hell is this guy?? LMAO

I remember alot of street racing in NJ there use to be a unused airport in Tomsriver we used alot and some back roads in vineland but for the big money runs front street in Philly was the place to go and Seaside had the curcit .

If anyone likes to read, try the book "Report from Engine Company 82" by Dennis Smith. He was a fireman assigned to the busiest fire station in the world in the late 60's/70's- Engine 82/85 and Ladder 31 located at Intervale Ave & E 169 in the Bronx. These guys were in the middle of the arson spree that burnt down the South Bronx. It's a good read not just for firefighters, anyone would enjoy it- gives a good insight to the urban blight and the problems of the decay.

Thats a damn good book! i read it some years ago,gave me some insight as to why the FDNY started using all enclosed cabs,and bulletproof glass in some of the engines! never understood why people would want to "F" with firemen in the first place,who are only doing their job,HELPING people! i mean these animals throwing bricks,shooting at the trucks,are you effin' kiddin' me?!.....................................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

If anyone likes to read, try the book "Report from Engine Company 82" by Dennis Smith. He was a fireman assigned to the busiest fire station in the world in the late 60's/70's- Engine 82/85 and Ladder 31 located at Intervale Ave & E 169 in the Bronx. These guys were in the middle of the arson spree that burnt down the South Bronx. It's a good read not just for firefighters, anyone would enjoy it- gives a good insight to the urban blight and the problems of the decay.

I read a couple of books by John Finucane FDNY from Ladder 31 1965 to 1980 one called "THE USUAL" personal stories of the 1000+ calls a month in the Charlotte Street area in the late 60's. The other was a novel called "WHEN THE BRONX BURNED" Have to read the "REPORT"

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Thats a damn good book! i read it some years ago,gave me some insight as to why the FDNY started using all enclosed cabs,and bulletproof glass in some of the engines! never understood why people would want to "F" with firemen in the first place,who are only doing their job,HELPING people! i mean these animals throwing bricks,shooting at the trucks,are you effin' kiddin' me?!.....................................Mark

Strange I don't remember seein the rightous rev. Al standin up for the FDNY????????????????? By the way, he works for MSMBC now! what a joke!

• Like 2

I remember alot of street racing in NJ there use to be a unused airport in Tomsriver we used alot and some back roads in vineland but for the big money runs front street in Philly was the place to go and Seaside had the curcit .

Vineland eh? ever remember seeing a navy blue and white SS 69' El Camino? belonged to a good friend of mine from Millville,won a TON of money streetracing with it,but eventually & sadly was killed in the very same car by a drunk driver about 3 weeks afer his 20th birthday. I remember seeing him blow the doors off a BUILT 70 Mustang fastback,with a reported ex-pro stock 351 Cleveland,4 speed,this was over on front street in Philly.....................................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Dont remember that one we always run mopars wife had a red 70 supperbee 440 4 speed I had a black dodge dart 440 4 speed other friends had 70 challenger blue 68 polara convertable 440 4 speed . Remeber vineland road was so rough it cracked my windshield running down a mustang.

Vineland eh? ever remember seeing a navy blue and white SS 69' El Camino? belonged to a good friend of mine from Millville,won a TON of money streetracing with it,but eventually & sadly was killed in the very same car by a drunk driver about 3 weeks afer his 20th birthday. I remember seeing him blow the doors off a BUILT 70 Mustang fastback,with a reported ex-pro stock 351 Cleveland,4 speed,this was over on front street in Philly.....................................Mark

They still race on Front Street (now Columbus Blvd) and on Packer Avenue in Philly- but it's all young stupid kids (stupid in the sense that they dont have the respect for horsepower/torque and machinery in general that you and I had growing up) in souped up rice-burners.

• Like 1

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

I used to ride with Battalion 18 out of Engine 45's quarters, 925 E. Tremont Ave. in the late seventies and early eighties. Always a good ride with lots going on. One of the comments the Chief made to me really stuck as we looked out over a couple hundred blocks of burned out six story apartment buildings; "We didn't burn these out a building at a time, we burned them down a room at a time." He was the same BC who made the now famous radio report of having fire coming from 25 windows, after he counts them out one at a time, of a six story building "with no fire trucks on the scene." during the hay day of the Bronx in the seventies.

We always parked in the lot at the fire house and never had a problem with vandalism or theft. Of course we were driving a 73 Ford Torino station wagon; too ugly and beat even for the Bronx regulars to go for.

I cross the CBE pretty regularly and to me the biggest danger is the road itself. It will shake anything loose off in a NY second and god help you if you have bad tires or wheels.

• Like 2

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Miller Air Park. I used to run down there too. Well more like watch. One night the cops came and busted around 30 cars. I had my Blazer that night and took off through the woods to avoid the law. Had no idea where I was going but I followed a Toyota pickup and behind me was some kid in his mothers LTD station wagon we hit some road the guy in front of me went left, I went right and about 40 minutes later I finally found a road I knew.

Ah good times

Paul, I might have some of those pictures of that GTX on my work computer ill post when I get to work tomorrow.

• Like 1