Hey everyone, i am thinking of buying a dm 600 from a guy that has a 237 and a 2 pole six speed. Now the truck has a nice log bed on it and will haul around 3500 hundrend feet of timber and more if the wood is good and he claims the truck will run about 55 mph he said maybe 58 and that it is alot cheaper on fuel than his 300 r model. the truck is in good shape one spot of rust on the cab in front of the drivers door, the frame is very dry and needs some paint. The truck feels very tight and drives good. The only thing that bothers me is the truck has always smoked very light when warmed up going down the road, blue haze come out of it not bad smoke but a light blue smoke. What could this be the engine is smooth and starts right up. I will be useing it local to haul about 25 miles one way, i do wish it would do around 70 so i could get on the free way coming back but it doesnt take that much longer to just go the old road. Also the truck has what i call a belly frame it is very tall till it gets about a foot behind the cab and it is double framed that looks good but it does need some paint and primer because the old paint is almost gone and the surface rust is getting bad on it and it has the 55,000lbs rears with 11r 24.5 rubber. He is asking 7500 bucks for it and to me it seems a little high but i would say the bed woud cost around 2500 to build not counting labor so it's probley about right, so what can you all here tell me about these trucks, he has used it off and on for about 7 years and sold it once for 12,000 bucks and then got it back from the guy, so i am thanking it is a good truck but would i be better off to find a r model and pay a little more, and are the 237 realy that much better on fuel than the 300, i used to drive for him with his r model and i usally filled up twice a week maybe 3 times if we hauled alot, so any info would be greatly apperciated.

Oilburner when you are getting into trucks that old I think it depends as far as price goes what the truck is worth to you. You can't really go by fair market value because the truck would probably be worth for scrap. I think a good solid DM could be worth that. When I bought my R Model Valley Mason wanted 14,000.00 with the spare donor R. I got them down to 12 because the truck had a few issues but I saw the value and potential in the truck so it was worth it to me. Except for the cam issue that truck gave me six years of no issues up to this point.

Cheers, Rob

Hey everyone, i am thinking of buying a dm 600 from a guy that has a 237 and a 2 pole six speed. Now the truck has a nice log bed on it and will haul around 3500 hundrend feet of timber and more if the wood is good and he claims the truck will run about 55 mph he said maybe 58 and that it is alot cheaper on fuel than his 300 r model. the truck is in good shape one spot of rust on the cab in front of the drivers door, the frame is very dry and needs some paint. The truck feels very tight and drives good. The only thing that bothers me is the truck has always smoked very light when warmed up going down the road, blue haze come out of it not bad smoke but a light blue smoke. What could this be the engine is smooth and starts right up. I will be useing it local to haul about 25 miles one way, i do wish it would do around 70 so i could get on the free way coming back but it doesnt take that much longer to just go the old road. Also the truck has what i call a belly frame it is very tall till it gets about a foot behind the cab and it is double framed that looks good but it does need some paint and primer because the old paint is almost gone and the surface rust is getting bad on it and it has the 55,000lbs rears with 11r 24.5 rubber. He is asking 7500 bucks for it and to me it seems a little high but i would say the bed woud cost around 2500 to build not counting labor so it's probley about right, so what can you all here tell me about these trucks, he has used it off and on for about 7 years and sold it once for 12,000 bucks and then got it back from the guy, so i am thanking it is a good truck but would i be better off to find a r model and pay a little more, and are the 237 realy that much better on fuel than the 300, i used to drive for him with his r model and i usally filled up twice a week maybe 3 times if we hauled alot, so any info would be greatly apperciated.

I noticed that you are from Williamsburg, and if that DM has been used locally in the Ky. and Tn. area around you they use alot of salt on the roads in the winter. So be sure to check the front cab mounts,because the floors and mounts on DM's are very susceptible to rust. As for the fuel economy of a 237 vs a 300, a whole lot depends on the driver and how heavy his foot is on the throttle, and with a 237 you will spend most of the time with your foot flat on the floor. The mountains in your area are pretty steep so I personally would choose a 300 over a 237 if i was hauling the kind of weight you will be required to. Oh! and a Jake or at least a Dynatard would be mighty handy too.

Thanks guys, i still havent made up my mind. The truck does have a jake, and the previous owner put new cab mounts in it and a new drivers side floor pan because like you said 607, the salt has got to it. As far as me being happy with the 237, i will probly wish i had a 350 but for the money i can upgrade later if i was to buy it. So you all think it is a pass, and try to find something with some more hp.. i just keep thinking of the old timers that used to drive them trucks hauling coal, i had a guy tell me he hauled on a truck identical to the one i am talking about from the pit to the coal washer and he hauled 35 ton on it, i will not be over 25 ton so it should not phase it. We will see, i still can't decide but what i thank would be wrose than crawling up the hills is the 58 mph top speed of the old truck.

Thanks guys, i still havent made up my mind. The truck does have a jake, and the previous owner put new cab mounts in it and a new drivers side floor pan because like you said 607, the salt has got to it. As far as me being happy with the 237, i will probly wish i had a 350 but for the money i can upgrade later if i was to buy it. So you all think it is a pass, and try to find something with some more hp.. i just keep thinking of the old timers that used to drive them trucks hauling coal, i had a guy tell me he hauled on a truck identical to the one i am talking about from the pit to the coal washer and he hauled 35 ton on it, i will not be over 25 ton so it should not phase it. We will see, i still can't decide but what i thank would be wrose than crawling up the hills is the 58 mph top speed of the old truck.

Oh and i used to drive his r model with a 300 tipturbine and i did like driving it, i also drove a lowboy truck with a 350 2v and a 15 speed fuller trans with 4.44 rears and it was a good running little truck, i just have never drove a 237 or a e-9. if i had my pick i would be driving a e 9...LOL!

Oh and i used to drive his r model with a 300 tipturbine and i did like driving it, i also drove a lowboy truck with a 350 2v and a 15 speed fuller trans with 4.44 rears and it was a good running little truck, i just have never drove a 237 or a e-9. if i had my pick i would be driving a e 9...LOL!

sound like i hurt somebodys feelings.lol...i used to pull loaded doubles up the grapevine,,at around 12 miles an hour,,,with that all mighty 237,,that some of these guys like to rage about,,,then with the 350 thermodyne,,would pull the same hill at around 40.and to boot the mileage was higher in the bigger engine..lol....bob

ya,,,the 237 is a boat ancher,,,i used to run one,,,if you got hills,,,forget it,,,its strickly a flatland motor,,,price dont seem too far off,,,but you wont be happy with the power...and yes you need atleast a 300 plus...bob

In reality, the 237 is no boat anchor by any stretch of the imagination....

It definitely was a torque monster in it's day,unfortunately it's day came and went many years ago

Once you've witnessed the torque rise and I think it's something like 53% it's a very impressive little engine.

But that said,if given the choice I would still choose a 300 or maybe a 300+ or even a 350 for hauling timber.

In reality, the 237 is no boat anchor by any stretch of the imagination....

It definitely was a torque monster in it's day,unfortunately it's day came and went many years ago

Once you've witnessed the torque rise and I think it's something like 53% it's a very impressive little engine.

But that said,if given the choice I would still choose a 300 or maybe a 300+ or even a 350 for hauling timber.

well i also ran a 180 naturally asperated,,,and i didnt think the 237 was much better,,,even had it dynoed,,,and the mechanic told me its doing what its supposed to,,,but i had mine in the 80,s when guys with 350,and 400 cummins,,were blowing my doors off,even on flat ground,,with a strong headwind,,,it would pull me down to like 55,,i suppose in like 1967 they seemed pretty healthy.lol.bob

Well guys i have made a deal and will be taking ownership tuesday, i drove the truck and i thought it was a very peppy little truck, it drives very good and shifts smooth, the truck also has a very strong jake. I have been hauling wood with a e7 454 and it does a good job as long as you keep it under 92,000 lbs but it is a tractor, and i know the 237 will not run with it but i tell you bobtail it would give it a run for its money till you hit 55 mph, lol thats about it with the 600. Now i have not had a load on it but i will tell you the truck will get up and get gone even with the six speed and it may just be the gearing in it but it does not feel week empty but i guess when i get her loaded i will find out, i thought it was cool looking in the mirror on the pas side and whacthing the black smoke roll out of it when i shifted and got on it, i also thought the truck has a very loud turbo for what it was, it doesn't sound as good as the tipturbine set up but i realy liked my frist impresion of the truck, but we will see how it goes but i am expected to crawl up the steep hills around here like most trucks, but maybe it will do a little better then i think it will

A company my dad used to work for had a bunch of DMs with 237, 6 speeds, they moved bridge beams and double Ts all around New England with them. They didn't go fast but they always got there.

Yeap, and getting there is were the money is, i will upgrade if i need to in the furture, but for the money i can not pass it up at this time.

• Like 1

Yeap, and getting there is were the money is, i will upgrade if i need to in the furture, but for the money i can not pass it up at this time.

best of luck to ya,,,hope it all works out,,,least you picked a cool truck,,,to drag your feet in.lol.bob

Went and got her today, took it on a little joy ride and then to the shop to do some work on her and get it ready for hauling, got to put a alt. on it it's not charging, and going to put some tires on it, its a dm685sx and i got it for 7 grand. The old truck is in good shape and the 6 speed shifts great. The truck also has 55 rears with anti sway springs with 4.52 ratio, i thank it is 4.52 that is what i can make out on the rear end. It tops out at about 58 mph, i was thinking of swaping the 6 speed out for a 15 over but the six works so good i hate to take it out and they hardly never give any trouble but the overdrive would be nice get her up around 70. I drove a early 80's r model with a 350 2 vavle that had a 15 speed in it and it would cook down the road it would run all over a 425 cat, but the 237 is no 350 but it would help it out on the top end. I will have a load on her in a week or so after i get done straighting her out and then i will let you all know how she does.

237 a boat anchor! Doubt it, they are a great engine. I'd call an 864 a boat anchor before a 237, but I would like to have an 864 in my collection.

hehehe,,,you flatlanders all think alike,,,try it on a good grade,,with 70 thousand,10 miles an hour,,you will be ready to get out and beat it to death with a sledge hammer...bob

Went and got her today, took it on a little joy ride and then to the shop to do some work on her and get it ready for hauling, got to put a alt. on it it's not charging, and going to put some tires on it, its a dm685sx and i got it for 7 grand. The old truck is in good shape and the 6 speed shifts great. The truck also has 55 rears with anti sway springs with 4.52 ratio, i thank it is 4.52 that is what i can make out on the rear end. It tops out at about 58 mph, i was thinking of swaping the 6 speed out for a 15 over but the six works so good i hate to take it out and they hardly never give any trouble but the overdrive would be nice get her up around 70. I drove a early 80's r model with a 350 2 vavle that had a 15 speed in it and it would cook down the road it would run all over a 425 cat, but the 237 is no 350 but it would help it out on the top end. I will have a load on her in a week or so after i get done straighting her out and then i will let you all know how she does.

didnt care for the 6 speed either,,,but as i said,,,best of luck with it,,and hope you can deal with lotsa 4 way flashers.lol.bob

i dunno last i checked upstate Ny and Pa werent anywhere near flat and there were plenty of 237's runnin around here in the day. still a damn good motor. if it wasnt for the 237 Mack wouldnt have made it thru the 60's and 70's and they never would have had the 300, 300+ and 350. guess i dont know what im talkin about tho. i know Dellwood Milk hauled double milk trailers up the NYS Thruway to Ny with milk EVERYDAY and never shut them off. one driver out, one driver back in and head back to Ny and it was with a straight 5 speed. most of them have 2 and 3 million miles on them when they got rid of the trucks.

• Like 1

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

ya,,,the 237 is a boat ancher,,,i used to run one,,,if you got hills,,,forget it,,,its strickly a flatland motor,,,price dont seem too far off,,,but you wont be happy with the power...and yes you need atleast a 300 plus...bob

You have sinned. For your penance, say 10 Hail Mary's and read from the following scripture:

http://www.bigmacktrucks.com/index.php?/topic/30184-all-eyes-are-on-the-new-maxidyne/

I can understand your feeling left behind running a 237 in the 80's, but a that engine should be compared to a 250 Cummins or a 238 Detroit. Then lets see who's first to reach the top. :)

• Like 1

Jim

You have sinned. For your penance, say 10 Hail Mary's and read from the following scripture:

http://www.bigmacktrucks.com/index.php?/topic/30184-all-eyes-are-on-the-new-maxidyne/

I can understand your feeling left behind running a 237 in the 80's, but a that engine should be compared to a 250 Cummins or a 238 Detroit. Then lets see who's first to reach the top. :)

ya,,,thats all i got is shitty memories,,,of that thing,,,couldnt wait to get rid of it,,,when i got the 350,,,i was about pissing myself,pulling them same 10 mph hills,,,at like 38 mph instead,,on the same run,,,,oh ya baby,,,this is more like it.lol,,,couldnt even run with my pals,,back then,,,soon as i hit a little hill,,,they would blow my doors off,,,and never see them again,,,couldnt even stop for coffee,,had to keep on rolling,,or i would be late,,plus..only had it for one year,,and had to do an inframe,,,fuel pump,,blown fuel line,,and a water pump,,,so as far as realiability i didnt have that either,,,so thats why i have such a sour attitude,,,that thing just cost me allotta grief,money and time.lol.bob